• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

SSD upgrade or new machine?

Reaction score
I am an amateur filmmaker in SLC. I use Adobe after effects and PP on my PC desktop for the majority of my editing. I recently got a job at a studio as an editor but I am required to supply my own computer (it is a bit of a co-op). I would not like to bring my massive PC tower into the studio as it is also my gaming machine. I own a Macbook pro, with a 2.4 core 2 duo and 8 gigs of ram. It CAN run after effects and PP.. but chugs along rather slow and that is no workflow. My question is, should I just upgrade this macbook with an SSD in the optical drie slot and a new 7500 HD? Or should I sell the old macbook and buy a new.. mac mini? Macbook pro? Wait for the new iMac? I could just really use an outside opinion.
EDIT- I forgot the last option, to build another PC desktop with the money from selling my macbook pro. 6 core setup with 32 gigs of ram is reachable under the price of a imac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would think you'd rather have a machine that was portable and powerful at the same time. One that you could take home with you after the day's work.

The new MacBook Pro 15" (non retina) model would be a good choice. Load it up with memory and a large enough SSD that you can afford. Or, order it with a large hard drive and add an SSD in place of the optical drive later on. The high end 15" machine fully loaded is going to cost well over $2000 but since you're going to use it professionally, it'll pay for itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I vote new machine as there are other factors on the older machine that will limit its speed such as cache,processor and amount and speed of the ram other than just going with an SSD over conventional drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It most certainly is. Buying a new Mac to use for your BUSINESS is indeed tax deductible.

Go read his post again chas. Amateur means exactly that.

C

chas_m

Go read his post again chas. Amateur means exactly that.

Amateur does not automatically mean you have not set up a business. It just means you are not yet a professional.

Your interpretation may be correct (the OP would have to weigh in on this) but I've known a LOT of amateur filmmakers who set up LLCs for each film they do, even if the whole thing was funded on grants and credit cards and will never make a dime. Indeed, if you're reasonably certain the film won't make much (if any) money, incorporating is a VERY sound business strategy for tax purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Amateur does not automatically mean you have not set up a business. It just means you are not yet a professional.

Your interpretation may be correct (the OP would have to weigh in on this) but I've known a LOT of amateur filmmakers who set up LLCs for each film they do, even if the whole thing was funded on grants and credit cards and will never make a dime. Indeed, if you're reasonably certain the film won't make much (if any) money, incorporating is a VERY sound business strategy for tax purposes.

To benefit from a tax deduction, you must derive a specific amount of income from the item. To simply state that there is a tax deduction is as inaccurate as it would be to state that any professional is a better filmmaker than any specific amateur. It may simply mean one does not want to deal with the headaches of performing professionally (and yes, there are extreme headaches in allowing others into your own creative process).

If you really need more info, I'll be happy to have my wife provide some... Tax accounting is, after all, her profession.

C

chas_m

I'll defer to your wife, but as she can probably tell you not every business makes a lot of income, particularly in the early days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.