Upgrading my iBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Upgrading my hard drive....

I just added some RAM to my iBook (from 512 to 768) and i also want to upgrade the hard drive, so i was wondering wich is better, to have more RPM or to have a bigger cache. I was thinking about buying a Toshiba with 40gb (i don't need a bigger drive) with 16mb of cache and 5400rpm, but i was looking and i can get a similar capacity, less cache (8mb) but 7200rpm. So, please, any advise is welcome, more RPMs or bigger cache?

Y

yuwing

i think cache is more important. I've had a windows laptop where the rpm is killing the machine with the heat produced. also, consider the amount of battery used for the higher rpm.

i'm not a computer engineer, but i've done some brief research on this topic before.

i dont' want my ibook to melt and i want my 6 hour battery life. so if i were you, i'd keep 5400rpm with higher cache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
The RPM's are better, imo. Tom's Hardware has a good test against the drive with the 16mb cache. 5400 is a good improvement over 4200 rpm; get 7200rpm if you can. 7200rpm will only drop your battery life by about 5 minutes, although it may increase the heat. Seagate and Hitachi both make excellent 7200rpm models.

Reaction score
Really? Only by 5 minutes? How do you know this Kaidomac?

I would have thought heat, and noise, would be the big issues. I'd love to know what the speed improvements would be though with a 7200, or 5400!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.