will the new intel macs run games for windows?

M

Mikey Chopps

such as halflife 2 and rome total war?

can you please resond it will be appreciated

OP
L

lil

No.

The CPU is now right but the games access Windows based interfaces which Mac OS X does not use, just like you can run Linux on a Intel PC; but not necessarily have Windows compatibility (forgetting WINE for the moment).

When Virtual PC for Intel comes along or booting of Windows in an Intel Mac becomes available -- then it will work.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Mikey Chopps said:
such as halflife 2 and rome total war?

can you please resond it will be appreciated

You'll have to wait until someone works out a way to boot windows on them. I've seen some speculation that a bootloader such as GRUB might make this possible, but I don't think it's been done yet. I guess we will see. Other than that, Windows Vista is supposed to support EFI, so it should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Pending real world verification, we don't know if they will boot Xp or not. Recent articles have suggested that they won't, but THIS Endgadget article suggests otherwise.

Either way, what lil told you is correct. Just because it's an Intel processor inside, it's not a Windows PC. It is, in essence, a Mac PC. Windows software will not run on the Mac operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Maybe it would be a better question to ask; would it be easier to port titles to the new intel based Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Better question. One wold assume so since the processor is the same, but I',m not a programer so my "logical" answer may not be the right one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What I think that some people are forgetting here is that the games and apps from Windows do not rely on the Intel chip alone. These apps are desigined for the Windows OS. Lil hit it on the head. Just because some Macs now use an Intel chip, it doesn't really change the structure of the OS greatly. You still can't run Windows natively on a Mac, and you can't run Mac on Windows natively. This may or may not change, but for now it just won't happen.
So in summation... if you want to run Mac applications, use a Mac... If you want to run Windows programs, use a Windows PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
D3v1L80Y is right. The games' compatibility have little to do with the processor, and more to do with the operating system. So, it wouldn't make cross-compatibility much more possible.

And the physical system is different, so Windows won't be able to be installed on a Mac with any ease at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
D3v1L80Y said:
You still can't run Windows natively on a Mac, and you can't run Mac on Windows natively.

A goodly number of people have been able to get OS X 86 running on standard PC hardware. It seems that the only real thing that keeps it from doing so is Apple's protection scheme and a lack of drivers for most of the hardware.

Check out OSX86 project if you want to see what people are doing.

http://www.osx86project.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dan828 said:
A goodly number of people have been able to get OS X 86 running on standard PC hardware. It seems that the only real thing that keeps it from doing so is Apple's protection scheme and a lack of drivers for most of the hardware.

Check out OSX86 project if you want to see what people are doing.

http://www.osx86project.org/
And that version is NOT the standard version of OS X. The ONLY version of OS X that works on a standard off the shelf x86 system is the Developer copy of Tiger.
That version was and is specifically designed for the Developer Intel Mac, which happened to be comprised of off the shelf PC parts in a G5 case.
THAT is the only way you can run OS X natively on a PC. This is not something released to the masses, which is why I stated that you cannot run Mac on a PC natively. If anyone is doing so, then they are either a registered developer, or they are illegally running a pirated copy of the DevKit OS X on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
plus it runs like a total pig from what ive herd, far from useable so why bother with the hassle of running illegal OS X when its now out of date anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
It doe's works slow, almost all reports that i have read about OSX86 experiments,when compared to WinXP, works at 50% or less the real capacity. But this goes for things like encoding MP3s or movies and things like that, i believe that if you want to see the full potential of OSX in a nonApple Intel computer you'd have to wait little more.
Still, even if sudenly it becomes easier to port the games to OSX, the problem will allways be the size of the market, we are not enough or at least not so interested in games (as a group i mean). And even if sudenly all of the hackers and pseudo-hackers of the world turn their handmade PCs to OSX, well, i don't expect them to "buy" a legal copy of a game or any software for that matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
remember there are still fairly big differences in the intel macs and the other intel processors. The intel macs use a new boot system which allows them to load hardware and nearly every part of the computer before the operating system does. Xp currently does not run on those, though they do say that vista rumors suggest that it will run on this new processor type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The endgadget article I posted suggests that XP may be able to load.

Reaction score
I think the games will only run/be easier to code if either of the following things happen:

1. Someone figures out how to get Windows to run properly on the new Mac hardware
2. MS licences Direct X out to Apple to allow them to implement it on OS X.

Remember that almost all of the top titles run under Direct X, and OS X simply doesn't have that, it has Open GL, which is why some games have been ported, because they too could run in Open GL on Windows.

So I think it has less to do with the actual hardware and more to do with the software.....

I don't see it happening any time soon, unless No 1 happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.