My Macbook Pro is in trouble!!

Reaction score
I've looked for some answers but couldn't find any. Hopefully I can find some here. First. A little about my Macbook Pro. I'm Running 10.7.5 with 8 GB of Ram. My Admin User account has slowed down a lot after downloading and installing Mountain Lion -___- Youtube skips on videos, iTunes sometimes skips on songs. I get the "beach ball" more often. Thing is just slow as ****! I created a Guest User account and everything is smooth. Videos run nice, no skipping, no lagging, no beach ball. However all my stuff is on the Admin account. Whats the friggin deal????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Yes really. Sorry but this is a volunteer forum and going into Sat in the US where most of our members reside they are probably doing weekend activities. Its 650am Sunday morning here in Aust but honestly i have nothing better to do lol so ill try to help.

In the link posted above you say nothing helped. Please outline the things you have tried so im not wasting your time suggesting those things, and so i can suggests others.

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
I tried the Kernal_task one and that did not work. My youtube videos and iTunes is lagging. Actually me writing this right now I'm getting a beach ball from time to time. Everything seems fine under Activity. :Confused:

2012-11-21 12.16.25 am.png

Reaction score
I assume you did an upgrade instead of a clean install.
My next suggestion would be to perform the latter, after backing up using Time Machine.

SM

OP
P
Reaction score
I assume you did an upgrade instead of a clean install.
My next suggestion would be to perform the latter, after backing up using Time Machine.

SM
I upgraded to Lion. are you suggesting that I start I reformat my computer?

Reaction score
Well, as a last resort... that is when all else fails, i would indeed suggest you go to disk utility when reinstalling, and wipe the Mac partition.

Don't forget to back up your important stuff first.

SM

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, as a last resort... that is when all else fails, i would indeed suggest you go to disk utility when reinstalling, and wipe the Mac partition.

Don't forget to back up your important stuff first.

SM

My mac is not extremely slow its just at certain points. Youtube vids will lag and sometimes when im typing it lags.small stuff but very annoying!

OP
P
Reaction score
For anyone that reads this and has the same problem my computer is still slow and none of these "solutions" have worked. I'll have to deal with choppy youtube videos and a laggy computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
When a new account works OK, it frequently means that a preference file is corrupted. There's a Preferences folder in your user's Library folder. Prefs files have names like com.apple.safari.plist. Try deleting prefs one at a time and then retry what was slow before.

Another thing to try is a more generic file system repair. Start the Mac from the Recovery partition and use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive.
OS X: About OS X Recovery

OP
P
Reaction score
I reformatted the entire HD. I did a fresh Install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2. My computer still seems slower than it should be. Lagging on Youtube, and experiencing the beach ball more often than one should. really pissing me off because I spent 1200 bucks on a machine I've had for 2 years and already its taking a crap. not happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I reformatted the entire HD. I did a fresh Install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2. My computer still seems slower than it should be. Lagging on Youtube, and experiencing the beach ball more often than one should. really pissing me off because I spent 1200 bucks on a machine I've had for 2 years and already its taking a crap. not happy.

There is obviously a underlying problem and not JUST your Mac. Cant keep trying to blame Apple where there could be a simple solution.

Have you tried Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility ??

OP
P
Reaction score
There is obviously a underlying problem and not JUST your Mac. Cant keep trying to blame Apple where there could be a simple solution.

Have you tried Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility ??

Yes of course I tried Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility and nothing. The computer is still choppy. I was using iMovie recently and the computer is really lagging. The beach ball shows up the most when I'm using this program. P.S. I get some lag while I'm typing this as well :/ idk what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes of course I tried Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility and nothing.

What do you mean
Yes of course i tried Repairing Permissions
when not once did you mentioin this in any of your posts !!!!!!

If thats your attitude, then sorry im done helping :Not-Amused:

OP
P
Reaction score
What do you mean when not once did you mentioin this in any of your posts !!!!!!

If thats your attitude, then sorry im done helping :Not-Amused:

I apologize man, It's just frustrating. I don't mean to be an *******. I'm just a normal guy trying to get some help. This problem is really weird. Considering I reformatted my entire drive and updated to 10.8. I just don't understand. I would appreciate any help from you or others. I'm sorry and I appreciate your time and consideration.

OP
P
Reaction score
Heres an example of what happens when I'm under my admin account. I was using my go pro hero 3, connected it to my mac and watched some of the videos on quicktime. One of the videos is choppy. I made a guest account and did the same thing. Plugged in my go pro and watched the same video with Quicktime and no choppyness. Apparently it has something to do with my admin account or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I just wanted to let you know I experience terrible lagging problems with YouTube, also. I have an excellent internet connection (30MB download speed).YouTube videos will start to play and the buffer bar shows plenty of gray. My hardware is quite capable of handling the data, but most YouTube vidoes will simply stop playing. After a few seconds paused, it will start back and after a few more seconds, it will stop again. I have always kept up the maintnance with Onyx and I have never figured out what causes it...and it is only with YouTube. I have just accepted that is how it is going to be with YouTube...I have no issues with anything else. Just to let you know you are not alone on this...I am hoping someone will provide us both with an answer. Good luck in your quest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.