New iphone 5 issues!!

Reaction score
Hello, i ordered an iphone 5 which came today and i was eager to get all my info transfered across from my old iphone 3g. i plugged in my old 3g and backed up in itunes. I then followed the instructions of the new 5 and where it said 'set up iphone' i selected 'restore from itunes backup' i then plug it in but nothing appears on the screen. iv changed USB ports, checked the cable and still nothing. The old 3g still works normally but the 5 is not showing.
Iv restarted my computer, and tried other software programs but as my ibook is quite old at operating system 10.4.11 i cant use that software.

Can somebody pleaseeee help as im dying to get my phone up and running and use it. Thank you very much,

Vinnie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmmm more homework you should have done.

iP5 wont show up in iTunes you have as the system specs for the iP5 are

Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later

Seing you have 10.4.11 and not the latest iTunes you wont be able to sync your iP5

Would also be nice to know what Mac you have too.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you do all the above on the iBook or another newer Mac?

Like was said, the IP5 will not work with that Power PC OS. You need a newer iTunes which is does not support.

OP
V
Reaction score
hello and thanks for the replies. Its an ibook g4, so probably ancient to todays standards.
why couldnt they have keep the sim card the same size so its a simple exercise of importing contacts. So i basically have to get a new computer to be able to sync the 5? cheers once again for the replies

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have an Apple store nearby? Any friend with a newer Mac?

OP
V
Reaction score
im not too sure to be honest, can find out. how will that help? can they send the info over for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
im not too sure to be honest, can find out. how will that help? can they send the info over for me?

Yes if you have a local Apple store then they will transfer your data for you and same if a friend has a Mac running 10.6.8 and above.

OP
V
Reaction score
if i got a friend to do it, would they have to do it via itunes and if thats the case will my data be left on there machine? as you can tell i havnt got a clue

C

chas_m

You are MANY YEARS overdue for a new(er) Mac. Go buy yourself one. An iBook G4? That's coming up on 10 years old!

The iPhone 5 can be set up to run independent of a computer but of course your music collection and data that's on your computer can't be synced over.

Reaction score
Find your 3G back up file and move it to a USB if you have one. Then find a friend with a newer Mac and set it up from there using that back up.

OP
V
Reaction score
ok thanks for the replies. my mac is OLDDD but to be honest, i originally purchased it for uni and now all i use it for is a bit of photo editing and storing my music, pics and searching the net. cant really warrrant spending 700 plus on a new computer just to store the above data at this current time. would love a imac but have more important things to spent the money on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.