How do I silence the 'gong' at start up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
This really annoys me more than it does most people probably, but how do I silence the 'gong' when my iMac (current model) first starts up? Under Sounds in Preferences the options are paltry and dare I say, and at my peril, with Windows it was simple to figure out.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The easiest way is to set the volume to 'Mute' before you shut down so next time you start up it will be silent. You will then have to adjust volume to suit your daily needs.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth is a great sound ~ tells you all is in order. If you want to hear a bad sound try the Chimes of Death!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you're using Mountain Lion, you can silence the Bong! two ways:

1. Lower or mute the sound before shutting down.

2. Download and install the free "Startup Ninja" utility. LINK

However, as has been pointed out by member Harry, the startup sound is actually a POST OK sound. (Power on self test is OK)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Darn it, Start up Ninja won't work for me because both of these apply:

Note 1: Does not work with iMacs
Note 2: The system start up chime is played through the internal speaker. If speakers or headphones are plugged in the system start up chime will still play.

Thanks though, chscag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wrong. It does work on an iMac. I'm currently using it on my iMac Mid 2011 model. Keeps me from waking up my wife when at the iMac in our large bedroom and part office. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How good are you with AppleScript as i found this from here.

EDIT : Charlie, that was posted on the developers page about it not working on iMac's. Thats where the OP got it from

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Brent. I find it strange that the developer would post that when it clearly works fine. There are several other small utilities which control the Startup Sound but they stopped working from Lion on....

I'll take a look a those scripts you posted to see what I can do with them.

Reaction score
If you're running with external speakers do this: unplug the external speakers, set the alert volume to mute.
Plug the speakers back in. Set alert volume to where you want it.
The settings are different whether you have something plugged in or not.

Reaction score
Us old Mac Heads Love the Gong..it upset big PC in creative offices all over America.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I'll just gouge out the abysmal internal speakers (gong only plays through them) as I use external speakers, anyway. Kidding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5" iMac. Mavericks . 1TB HD. 8GB Memory. 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, Ipad Air 64GB , iPhone 4s
The easiest way is to set the volume to 'Mute' before you shut down so next time you start up it will be silent. You will then have to adjust volume to suit your daily needs.

Cheers

Thank you SO much for this info. It worked !!! Thank God - I hate that sound. I asked at the local Apple reseller and they said you can't turn it off !!! What do they know ???? haha

If you're running with external speakers do this: unplug the external speakers, set the alert volume to mute.
Plug the speakers back in. Set alert volume to where you want it.
The settings are different whether you have something plugged in or not.

Thank you , thank you , thank you. My Apple reseller said it can't be done !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.