Using a shared printer on a windows machine

S

Sloopy

I have a printer hooked up to a wireless windows PC which is on the same wireless network as my mac. Is there anyway I can set this printer up so that I can print from my mac wirelessly? I would like to be able to share the printer (already set up on the windows machine) so I could sit on my bed and wirelessly print. How would I go about doing this?

One more thing, My help does not work when I press cloverleaf "?" it opens up for 3 seconds then closes by itself.

ONE MORE THING!!! Why is this a forbidden issue on this forum, I asked in another forum section and no one looked at it. Then when I did a search I found over twenty threads like this but no one ever answers them?!?! Is this some forbidden mac thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Install Bonjour for windows on the PC laptop.

Reaction score
Good luck. I've been trying to get my printer to work from both the Mac and PC. It still doesn't. I don't know what else to do.

And the reason people don't answer isn't because it is forbidden. It is because no one has the answer. Networking is hard enough in person. It's almost impossible to troubleshoot over the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If your that desperate and you are already on a wireless network spring the $129 and buy an Airport Extreme. It will work fine on the existing network you have and setup is a snap. The heck with printer sharing through one or the other, put it on it's own node. The reason that no one can help is that you're doing it the hard way and we all gave up and took the easier route.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
what did you get? What did you do?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ripfrankwhite said:
I can finally print from both machines.

I worded that question wrong. What is your setup and how did you get it to work? It might help someone else who is having printing issues.

You are correct it's a pain to help sometimes with Printer sharing when you are not there in person.

Reaction score
Printer is connected to AirPort Extreme via USB. PC is connected to AirPort Extreme via ethernet cable. Enable printer sharing in preferences on Mac. Run Bonjour on PC and when it asks for printer model so it can install the driver, I chose an Apple printer even though my printer is a Lexmark. I read somewhere that the PC needs to install an Apple driver instead of the driver that came with the printer. I forget why, but either way, it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
google it and there are loadz of help pages. i used them to get mine going!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.