Big problem with ical events

Reaction score
I have a Mac Air, which I normally really enjoy.

However, my ical is a mess! After synchronizing various devices and calendars I have ended with a huge number of birthday duplicates. These may range from 10 duplicates to more than 2000 duplicates for one name! As a result, my calendar is extremely slow when moving dates and needless to say that it is not very practical.

I have tried many methods of deleting the duplicates, mainly manually. Despite the lengthy process of removing them manually, this did not work either. Even if I delete all future events, past events are still there.

Also:
- I cannot delete the whole calendar as it has other events on it, which i really need
- i tried an app for removing duplicates (dupe remover?), with no effect.

C

chas_m

Just uncheck the birthday calendar so that no birthdays appear on your devices.

Then go in and clean up your calendar sync (using iTunes and/or iCloud)

OP
D
Reaction score
Just uncheck the birthday calendar so that no birthdays appear on your devices.

Then go in and clean up your calendar sync (using iTunes and/or iCloud)

As i explained in my previous message, this calendar also has other events except birthdays, which I do not want to delete. Hence, I cannot delete the calendar.

OP
D
Reaction score
You told me to uncheck the birthdays calendar.

I actually have a calendar which has both birthdays and meetings, appointments etc. If I uncheck the calendar, I will not be able to see the birthdays but also the meetings which I need.

Let me know if I understand something wrongly or give me more details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Separate your calendars. Birthdays. Holidays. Work. Home. Etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
You are obviously talking from now onwards. Can I do anything now?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.