Can you add menu items to an application?

Reaction score
Hi there. I just discovered how to add keyboard shortcuts to menu items in any application. This is awesome, because ever since I got my Macbook I've been working on using the cursor as little as possible. Unfortunately, I find that applications don't always have a menu command that I want.

In particular, I use Sketchbook Express to edit images. I need to constantly add text to pictures, but there is no "Add Text Layer" menu item. I have to manually click the button on a toolbar to do this. Is there some way to add a new item to the menu so that i can then make a keyboard shortcut? I'm a noob with Automator, so if that's the solution I'll need a somewhat noobish explanation. The most complicated thing I've done was make an app that changed all files in a folder to title case.

Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Unless an application allows you to customise the menus I can't think of a way of achieving that.

However, there may well be an applicable keyboard shortcut already.

Download and install cheatsheet. It looks at the application and by holding the cmd key for a couple of seconds it throws up a list of all valid shortcut keys for the current application. It may well be that there's an existing shortcut for the function you want already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.