Can I change ambient light sensor sensitivity/threshold?

Reaction score
So, I think the ALS works as it is supposed to in terms of turning up/down backlit keyboard depending on the amount of ambient light present. Where I have problem is that it takes A LOT of ambient light before the backlit keyboard turns off and locks, as in I have to be outside during the day or standing almost directly below a pretty bright light if I am indoors.

I have another macbook and it is a lot more sensitive and will turn off and lock backlit keyboard with a reasonable amount of ambient light. I have tested these two laptops side by side and the sensitivity/threshold is markedly different.

Can anyone help me with how I can go about adjusting the ALS threshold?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which Mac you have that the sensitivity needs to be adjusted, however, other than resetting the System Management Controller, there is no way to set the sensitivity. Resetting the SMC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.