new iMac 27 inch 2011 minor screen problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacBook Air 13"
I bought my iMac 27 inch a few months ago (joke's on me since the 2012 version justcame out).

For about two months there has been a small curved line on the bottom left of my display. I can only see it when the background is white, and the line appears "whiter." I kind of have the same problem on my HTC phone with two white dots that appear on the screen (but are always visible).

I tried taking a picture of it, but the camera hardly picks it up. It's about two inches long. You only notice it if you know it's there, and ever since I saw it, I'm obsessed about looking at it.

I came here to get two answers:

1. Is there any way of fixing this?

2. If not, is this a big enough of an issue to send back apple? I bought the extended warranty.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Since the iMac is new, even if the previous generation, you should take it to the Apple store and have them look at it so that it's documented and since it's under warranty, they will address any manufacturing issues..

You should at no point attempt to fix this yourself, but let them decide what the best course of action is..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacBook Air 13"
Thanks for the speedy response. I will call apple and set up an appointment. Thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome..you get 1 year of warranty with purchase of every Apple computer that can be extended and Apple is pretty good about fixing manufacturing defects as long as it looks like you haven't been tampering with it or attempting to fix it yourself..

Do keep us updated on how you fare with the Apple Geniuses and the outcome..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't worry about the new model iMac. Similar processors, same memory.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacBook Air 13"
You're welcome..you get 1 year of warranty with purchase of every Apple computer that can be extended and Apple is pretty good about fixing manufacturing defects as long as it looks like you haven't been tampering with it or attempting to fix it yourself..

Hi there.

Update: So I called Apple immediately after this thread and reserved an appointment to the nearest store. My appointment was arranged to be at 1 PM today. Since it was a saturday, the mall was packed and had to find parking pretty far away.

I walked quite a while with a heavy computer (after a while I was just exhausted), to find out the apple store was temporarily moved to the other side of the mall. Kill me now.

I get to the store, and to my surprise (sarcastic in every way) the store was packed like it is every day, I finally got the attention of a worker who directed me to another worker that takes appointments. I waited a while, and when I got a hold of her she asked for my name.

To my surprise, I was not even on the list at all. She made me an appointment that would be in ten minutes: 1:45. I waited a while and they finally took me in at around 2.

They set up my computer, saw the little problem, and said it would be fixed in 7-8 days (without applecare, the price would be upwards $550). Since the place was so crowded a few people thought the computer was a display and checking it out / touching it. Found it funny as long as they didn't touch the screen or actually use the computer.

Anyways, I expected a bit better service considering it was A OK on the phone. The store is always a mess however, so I wasn't surprised.

I just hope they aren't too rough on my computer and put it together almost as well as it was originally. Also I will be checking the computer for scratches as I'm pretty anal about that.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I will be on these forums as much as possible.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Apple stores are always busy, especially around shopping seasons and around major launches of new product. Do keep us updated on how the fix works out when the iMac is returned..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacBook Air 13"

The Apple stores are always busy, especially around shopping seasons and around major launches of new product. Do keep us updated on how the fix works out when the iMac is returned..

Will do. I don't know if you've ever visited the apple store in new york. Oh my god is that store ever packed. I would not want to wait in line there :p

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the flagship cube Apple store? If so, I'd expect it to be busy..:) I've visited various stores around Boston, and once in a while I walk in and there is enough room to walk around..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
What am I missing? You bought it new a few months ago, and they will be charging you $550 for the repair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What am I missing? You bought it new a few months ago, and they will be charging you $550 for the repair?

I've generally been quoted the non-warranty/MA cost for repair when bringing in things for repair as part of the paperwork. I'm assuming this is what the reference is.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Not charging..but quoting what it would have been without AppleCare. Since the iMac is within the first year, it has the warranty and all fixes should be covered..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.