Kingston Wi Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.4 C2D - 8GB - 240GB SSD/256GB HDD, ATV2, iPhone 4
Am looking at getting m first iPad and am thinking the 16GB. I am also thinking about adding the Kingston Wi Drive in my IOS family due to having movie capability on other iPads as well as iPhones. Has anyone had any experience with these? See the link for product information.

Wi-Drive | Kingston

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, should have added this to the hardware section. Just a nube!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Haven't tried the Kingston. I did get a Seagate GoFlex Wireless - similar concept.
Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate
You'll have to look into what the Kingston runs - but the Seagate GoFlex is running a version of linux so you can load on various plugins. I was able to get ssh and smb working so I could stream movies to apps like goodplayer.
Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi Samba Modification | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

Plus it has 500GB which is better for storing a lot of media. That being said - it is the platter hard drive technology with all the MTBF mechanical badness that - that entails. Have to be more delicate with the transport - but it is a mobile drive so it has done well for me so far.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I hear on the SeaGate is that it does not actually stream the media but drops the file on the device when ready to use? I like the Wi Drive as it allows you to truly stream the media (can access movies through the device browser), can have up to three devices synced and playing without degradation, and can bridge the internet connection on the device so you can maintain internet access while logged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well - I know when I have samba running - and I use goodplayer the Seagate streams. I really didn't care for the built in Seagate app. The Seagate app did have streaming - but it didn't seem to support as many files as goodplayer did. You definitely did not have to copy data from the Seagate drive to view movies.

Wireless streaming storage for your tablet

The Seagate Satellite™ device lets you take your media library on-the-go and stream it wirelessly to your iPad®, Android® tablets, and smartphones.

Take more than 300 HD movies on-the-go*
Stream media over Wi-Fi to 8 devices at the same time
Automatically sync media and documents from your PC or Mac computer
Easily access and stream your media using the free app or your device’s web browser
Up to 7 hours battery life**

There is some old information around - older firmware didn't support internet bridging - but the latest firmware does have the bridge feature now.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool! Took a look at it again in the SeaGate site. Thanks for the information as it looks like most have gone with this drive mainly due to price point and size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is why I went with the Seagate drive as well. If I am going to be dealing with media then flash based drives don't have the capacity. Generally it is about a gig per movie for decent encoding. (Maybe 700 GB but you get the picture.) 500 GB is a pretty decent size for carrying around a movie collection.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.