2008 iMac 20" Display issue

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am having an issue with my 20" iMac display. These vertical lines are showing and I do not know what they could be. I have received this machine as a gift and i was told it was sitting in a closet for many months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

20121113_204542#2.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears to be a graphics problem. Your iMac has a built in graphics adapter, either an ATI HD Radeon 2400 XT or an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO (depending on the model). The adapter could be failing or it could be the LCD itself that's defective. The only way to find out is attach an external monitor or TV to the iMac to see if it displays OK or if the same symptom occurs. You'll need a mini DVI adapter and cable in order to attach an external monitor or TV.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you. I was afraid it was an expensive problem. It has a HD2600 Pro in it. I will locate an adapter to try external monitor. Thank you again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have the same issue starting with my mid-2007 and its the LCD, I found one for around 300 dollars online.

OP
N
Reaction score
MEH....Well atleast its a quick fix....expensive, but quick...lol. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.