Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2009 2Ghz 8GB Ram 500GB HD, MacBook 2.4Ghz 8GB Ram 240 SSD HD, IPad 2 32GB, Iphone 5 16GB
I am stumped on this one. I recently clean installed ML on a 2009 Mini. All is wonderful except the log in screen is much larger than usual. This is the only part that seems visually unusual. All else is running well and in line and looks fine also.

Any idea or fixes from anyone?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My best guess suggestion here is to try resetting the PRAM. Perhaps the stored display resolution is wrong.
About NVRAM and PRAM

If that doesn't fix it, download Onx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. Hopefully that will do the trick.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2009 2Ghz 8GB Ram 500GB HD, MacBook 2.4Ghz 8GB Ram 240 SSD HD, IPad 2 32GB, Iphone 5 16GB
Thanks, I will try this asa I get the opportunity. Sounds as though this may just work. I will keep you posted. Very much appreciate the tips here.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I reset the Pram as specified exactly. The log in screen is still LARGER than normal. I guess its really no big deal other than it bugging the heck out of me as to WHY?? It was not like this on the other monitor of which was much larger. All else works great. to go in and change that Battery etc seems illogical as there is but one small glitch. I am open to other suggestions still of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I reset the Pram as specified exactly. The log in screen is still LARGER than normal. I guess its really no big deal other than it bugging the heck out of me as to WHY?? It was not like this on the other monitor of which was much larger. All else works great. to go in and change that Battery etc seems illogical as there is but one small glitch. I am open to other suggestions still of course.

I take it that running Onyx's tools didn't work out either?

I don't think changing the battery would help anyway. You didn't mention what monitor you are using, and now I take it you are using a different monitor than before? Or are you using 2 monitors? What type of connections? You really need to elaborate more on what your setup is, what changes you have made, and when you made them in relation to your installation of Mountain Lion. You said you clean-installed ML. Were you running it as an upgrade before this?

For kicks, you could try partitioning your drive and install ML to a new partition, then boot into that before logging out. Better yet, Snow Leopard, just to see if the OS is making a difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have not tried "Onyx" yet but will shortly as the reviews look very good! The Monitor is an older(2003) Dell Model#E171FPB 15inch of which is connected with a Rocketfish Mini display port to VGA adapter (RF-AP307). I have no problems on the much new Monitor but am using it for another mac now.

Being clear, I had no issues before I switched the monitor even after the new install. This new install was NOT from an upgrade but from a memory stick of which I downloaded Mountain Lion to.
As stated everything was working fine until I used a different monitor. The log in screen and all else worked great.

It may just be the monitor however I had an old 2006 mac mini hooked up to this monitor before and it worked normally. Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the problems all started when you swapped monitors? Then the problem is the monitor, or actually more likely the adapter you are using. My guess is the Mac can't tell what the monitor's native resolution is, so it's falling back to a standard VGA resolution when at the login screen. Most likely 640x480. You could try a different brand of adapter, but this may be a limitation of the specific type of adapter you need.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. I actually had another issue with the monitor that it would not turn off with the mini. I then changed the adapter and it fixed that issue. With my older 2006 mini this issue did not exist. the 2009 mini is a much nicer unit with of course Mountain Lion. We live and learn.

Appreciate your help. Love my Mac stuff. Nice to get the help when its needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.