• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FInal Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere?

Reaction score
I am currently using both Final Cut Pro 6 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for video editing. I like both of the applications but when I eventually upgrade to OSX Lion, I have heard that Final Cut will not work any more as it is a Power PC application.

Should I upgrade to Final Cut Pro X? Or should I save my money and continue using Premiere instead?

What benefits will Final Cut Pro X give me over Premiere? and if I do upgrade will it take me long to get used to the new software? or is it quite similar to Final Cut Pro 6?

C

chas_m

you should upgrade to Final Cut Pro X, since you are using Premiere CS 5. That way you will have both of the current generation and can correctly compare which one will be best for your needs going forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
At the very least download the trial version of FCP X...and yes it is markedly different than FCP 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It comes down to "do you want to spend the extra money or just drop FCP altogether?"

As I didnt have Premier, I got FCPX. Love it. I came from Sony Vegas 10 on a Windows machine to FCPX on my MBP. Wont go back. Love FCPX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.