may sound dumb, but can I lay my new we External hard drive on its side?

Reaction score
I got o new WD external hard drive in a metal/aluminum case. Just wondering, can I lay it on its side, rather than stand it up? It would take up less space. Also -- the manual says only to use the firewire cable it came with, but that's kind of short. Can I use another longer one, or will that hurt it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problem but make sure it cannot tumble over. Use a longer FW cable with iMac and no problems at all.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. Should I lay it on one side or the other ? I don't know from looking it the drive which is right side up, and I don't know if laying the disk upside down would make a difference.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just keep in mind if there are cooling vents - they have to be kept free. Otherwise there should be no problem laying the drive on its side or using it vertically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Further many of these cases come with stands for setting up on its side and Docks stand them upside down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.