Early 2011 MBP HDD Upgrade

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have eaten through my 500GB stock fitted HDD pretty quickly, and am looking to upgrade it to a TB. I do have a few quick questions though, which i have tried to find on Google, not haven't been able to find anything solid.
First off, will any SATA 2/3 2.5" HDD be compatible with my particular MBP?
Secondly I am in the Forensic Computing and IT Security field and as such run various Virtual Machines (never more than one at a time though) so I was wondering would I notice a difference between 3GBps and 6GBps?
Finallllyyyyy, if I was to restore from a Time Machine backup would there be any issues in regards to migrating from a 500GB, to a TB?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First off, will any SATA 2/3 2.5" HDD be compatible with my particular MBP?

As long as the drive depth or height does not exceed 9.5 MM it should be compatible. Several manufacturers are producing drives that meet those specs: Western Digital, Hitachi, and Seagate. Other World Computing has the Western Digital drive in stock. LINK You might also wish to check with Amazon and NewEgg.

Secondly I am in the Forensic Computing and IT Security field and as such run various Virtual Machines (never more than one at a time though) so I was wondering would I notice a difference between 3GBps and 6GBps?

Probably not but faster is always better. :)

Finallllyyyyy, if I was to restore from a Time Machine backup would there be any issues in regards to migrating from a 500GB, to a TB?

There shouldn't be. I also recommend using a cloning program for better results. (The clone will be bootable, TM backups or restores are not bootable.)
For that I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.

OP
C
Reaction score
Fantasic! Thanks alot chscag!
Alleviated the issues I was having. Ill probabily get one in the next coming months.
Just out of intrest do you have a preference to a particular manufacturer? I know I have a couple of external HDD's that are Seagate and dont have a problem with them, other people I speak to do? I guess everyone just has there own views
Thanks

Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone of the three I mentioned above should be OK. I've been using WD drives now for some time without any problems but that's just a personal choice. The only thing I would remind you of is the depth or height of the drive - many drives are advertised for notebooks but are actually too thick to properly fit and maintain cooling in a MacBook Pro. Make sure the drive is no thicker than 9.5 MM. Have fun. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.