Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz QC Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB, 2TB, 100GB; iPad 2 64GB
Digital Video Converter like DataVideo DAC-200

OP
T
Reaction score
VHS import to Mac

Thanks for the response, but it appears that the unit you recommended only works with HD video cameras, where the video is already in digital format. I need to input and convert analog VHS videotape into a format I can edit with something like iMovie. And I'm on a shoestring budget.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz QC Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB, 2TB, 100GB; iPad 2 64GB
Not so. I have this one: The Datavideo DAC-200 Product Review - GuyGraphics.com
Bought it years ago. I'm not sure, but I think I paid around $150 at B&H (also not sure). They don't have this one anymore. There are cheaper ones, but I would not know about the quality. You'll have to research that. Read the reviews. Search for "digital converter". I have converted old VHS tapes into digital files with my DAC-200 and then with either iMovie or Final Cut produced a movie and burned it on DVD. Good luck!

I've found a cheaper option: Elgato's external video capture device. Here's the link:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/625264-REG/Elgato_Systems_10020840_USB_Analog_Video_Capture.html
Read the reviews and see if it might be something for your application.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Roxio offers - "easy VHS to DVD for Mac" - software. I've used it a lot and it's a breeze to set up and use. All leads and necessary bits & pieces are in the box. It does the full analogue-to-digital thing. Of course, you have to buy it, but the cost is reasonable in my view.

I must emphasise that I have no financial or other connection with this company or any other for that matter. I simply offer my experience with a product that has worked well for me.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.