selling old MBP, with SSD, Garbage Collection=secure erase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
I'm selling a 2010 MBP with on OWC SSD in it, so I'm wondering if I just log into a fresh admin account and delete my old user account, will garbage collection on the drive do the job of securely erasing my data?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...will garbage collection on the drive do the job of securely erasing my data?

No. For the secure erasure of info…the "old info" needs to be overwritten with "new info". To make this easy…use Disk Utilities "Secure Erase" feature.

FYI…when you send stuff to the trash…and empty the trash can…the stuff you "erased" actually has not been erased…it's still there. What actually happens is…the directory file of the OS is just updated…and tells the computer that the space where that data resides is able to be written on (with new data) when the need arises. The secure erase feature of Disk Utility actually writes new random data (0's, 1's, etc.) over the entire HD…which overwrites any previous info stored on the HD.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may want to have a read of this article - link.

Really depends on what type of personal data you had on the drive as to whether you want to pass it on or not, even after you've erased it.

That article directly contradicts several articles I've read similar to this one - link.

So, does anyone know? Does Trim totally delete and make any data irretrievable?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like no. Finding way more evidence of the first rather than the 2nd and to get rid of your data on a SSD seems to require encrypting your data, then erasing.

Here's one of the better walk throughs for sanitizing a SSD - although it's talking about a Windows machine, he's got some tools there that should work with a Mac - link.

Be interested if anyone else has done the research/study on this and knows more about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.