Dare I Ask: MacOptimizer 1.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
MacOptimizer for $9.99 - 67% off - MacUpdate Promo

Is it worth $10?

LOL

Here I sit playing on my new Mac that is singing thanks to all of you.

I have significantly taken advantage of the the 1 to 1 - they ain't makin' any buck off of me!! I am keeping a running record of all of the questions this former PC user had/has and the expert (?) answers given. I will shortly do a thread on what I learned to help other migrators.

Cheers,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please avoid MacOptimizer, MacKeeper, Mac Cleaner, CCleaner, Mac whatever.... They're all snake oil applications which do more harm than good. Stay away from them. The only maintenance and clean up tool we recommend is OnyX which is free and can be downloaded from here.

OP
Luvntravln
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Thank you; for me the recommendations of this Forum are the Gold Standard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I second the use of OnyX. I have a monthly maint I run on my MBP and OnyX is used every time. As I have a lot of large files and projects being moved on and off the drive (FCP projects) I use Verify/Repair and clean temp files. Between Disk Utility and Onyx, everything is kept in tip top shape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
Please avoid MacOptimizer, MacKeeper, Mac Cleaner, CCleaner, Mac whatever.... They're all snake oil applications which do more harm than good. Stay away from them. The only maintenance and clean up tool we recommend is OnyX which is free and can be downloaded from here.

I have CC cleaner on my computer but have never used it. How do I erase this program?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure if they offer an uninstaller but the Piriform folks have a pretty good web site you can go to and see what they say. LINK

Reaction score

WHY? I value your opinion, but would love to know why you say this. Are these programs malicious, or badly written, or what exactly?

I have used CCleaner on Windows and is a most trustworthy and useful program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WHY? I value your opinion, but would love to know why you say this. Are these programs malicious, or badly written, or what exactly?

You answered your own question. No-one can put a finger exactly why they are bad, its just everyone that comes in here asking for help, find that MacKeeper especially causes problems with the OS and things cant be fixed unless you do a re-install, and trying to wipe them completly off your Mac is near impossible.
Do a Forum Search and MacKeeper and you will soon discover what sort of problems people are having.
Very Badly written and its the closest thing to a Virus on a Mac then any Trojan that has ever infected a Mac . . .
Stay away = Not Good

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Because we have years & years of experience...both as individuals & seeing/hearing the stories from many other users.:) Another reason is...you don't need these apps. on a Macintosh computer.

If you disagree with the assessment...then go ahead & use the programs! But if something goes wrong...don't blame us!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Cool man. I am not doubting the experience ion these forums - which is why I am here :)

My friend's MacBook Air 2011 has been slowing down and I was looking for a way to recoup the original speed, if possible.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reckon I should get motivated to write another sticky on the Care and Maintenance of a Mac.

Think we've had this same question at least 15 times in the last 4 days.

Reaction score
I second the use of OnyX. I have a monthly maint I run on my MBP and OnyX is used every time. As I have a lot of large files and projects being moved on and off the drive (FCP projects) I use Verify/Repair and clean temp files. Between Disk Utility and Onyx, everything is kept in tip top shape.

I have OnyX too, but it has a great many options. Can you point me to some page showing recommended settings for general use? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have OnyX too, but it has a great many options. Can you point me to some page showing recommended settings for general use? Thanks.

Just use the default/automatic settings that come with Onyx when it is downloaded. All that is needed is:

- launch Onyx
- click on the "Automation" button
- click on the "Execute" button
- watch the "fun" if you wish;)

EASY!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Until you learn your way around Onyx, I recommend checking off everything under Cleaning and Maintenance on the Automation tab. The rebuilding items are used only when you have specific issues. And you should only need to run it when you notice slow downs or maybe once every 3-4 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.