Looking for a game

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for Mac games. I've got a 13" MBP mid 2010 version with 8 GB of ram, that I usually use like a desktop with a 22" monitor. So much for the platform.

Years ago I played Avalon Hill military board games and during my PC days I enjoyed Age of Empires--the first version, Railroad Tycoon 2, and a WW2 game that played with hexes and counters but on the computer whose name escapes me. I'm not that dedicated about this stuff, and frankly the newer versions got to be too management heavy and time consuming. These days, all I find when I search for suggestions on the Web are games with little soldiers shooting other little soldiers, and the like, and a lot of fantasy and chase and the like. No thanks.

So, given my old fashion likes and dislikes, are there any military strategy games out there for a mac that rely on thought rather than shoot-em up gamesmanship. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're using at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 you can access the Mac App store and check out the games section. There are games there of every variety.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another Avalon Hill gamer... Primarily Blitzkrieg in early-mid 70s.
Missed out on most of their later games - too hard to find someone with the stamina for them and that enjoyed losing.
Did try a couple by mail, but not nearly as much fun.

Not played too many of that style on a computer.

Civilization 5 comes close to some of those board games.
If you try it, make sure you buy the Mac version.
Amazon has it with disk or download.
Search there for 'Civ 5 Mac'.

Have downloaded it sometime back, but not played it, FreeCiv.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I've been thinking aboutt Civ 5, and I just noticed a new version of Sid Meirs Railroads for mac. I may try that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.