My Macbook Pro's keyboard and track pad are unresponsive.

Reaction score
My computer just suddenly shut down and when I turned it on again the keyboard and track pad no longer worked.

I looked up my problem online and found that re-installing the computer worked for others with the same problem.

So I tried re-installing it with the Macbook Pro installation CD, but to do that you need to restart the computer, and whenever I restart my Macbook a blank white screen appears and does not go away until I turn the laptop off again. The only way to make it start up normally now is to hold down the option key while it starts up (I plugged in a separate mouse and keyboard so I can do this). Sometimes when I do this I get the option to re-install the mac (a CD icon appears on the screen) but when I click it my computer freezes every time.

I don't really know what else to do so if you are technically knowledgeable some advice would be greatly appreciated.

ps - I tried figuring out what was wrong by going to the apple website and seeing if I could get support, but it actually costs money for them to help you over the phone if you don't have a warranty anymore (mine expired)

I also am trying to avoid going to the apple store because it is really far away from where I live and I do not drive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did something spill on it by chance? The symptoms sure sound like it.

OP
A
Reaction score
As far as a can remember, I haven't spilled anything on it. The problem just came out of the blue with few waning signs.

The only irregular thing that was happening before this problem was that for some time now my mac would randomly turn off at times when I moved it or picked it up. I wasn't ever concerned with this because it didn't affect my computer's operating abilities, but now that I think of it it may be connected to the larger problem.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay I've done some more research on the problem and I'm almost 100% sure that I have to reset the SMC to fix the problem.

The bad part is that I can't reset the SMC because it requires me to hold down shift+control+option on the keyboard....which does not work. Apparently this only works on the built in keyboard (which is unresponsive) and is useless on an external keyboard :(

Reaction score
Okay I've done some more research on the problem and I'm almost 100% sure that I have to reset the SMC to fix the problem.

Is your battery removable or internal?

If it's removable, you can shut down the computer, remove the power cord and battery then hold down the power button for 10secs then reinstall everything and power it on.

OP
A
Reaction score
Is your battery removable or internal?

If it's removable, you can shut down the computer, remove the power cord and battery then hold down the power button for 10secs then reinstall everything and power it on.

Unfortunately it is not removable :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.