403.1 error message

Reaction score
After 8 years of using my Apple iMac with no problems, today I attempted to renew a DMV registration online, and got the following error:
HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

As far as I know, nothing has changed on my iMac. I am using OS X10.6.8. I did run Disk Utility - Repair Permissions after getting the problem. Why did I get the error in the first place and how can I fix it. Appreciate your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the DMV web site does not like your browser. Are you using Safari? Sometimes sites are designed only to accept certain browsers, mostly IE, Firefox, and sometimes Chrome. I have found sites that absolutely will not open from Safari. Post back and let us know.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A 403 error is indicative of an error on the other end. Specifically, you made a request for something and the server didn't like your request. In other words, it's nothing you can fix.

OP
R
Reaction score
403.1 Error

Thanks to your suggestion about using Firefox instead of Safari, after getting the 403.1 error message. I used Firefox and it worked. I was able to renew my NYS registration through Firefox. In past years, I used Safari successfully, but NYS must have changed their web software, so it no longer supports Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.