Running Windows via bootcamp on my mac to play SWtor WISE?

Reaction score
Looking to get some advice from some more techy people regarding gaming! I badly want to check out SWtor as I played the non online game as a kid and it looks brilliant. Wondering if bootcamping is wise on a mac and can it have adverse affects? Also many other MMO's have caught my eye but remain on PC only -____-

These are my following specs:

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Someone please help!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Running Boot Camp (actually running Windows since BC is only an assistant) has no adverse effect. However, you should go to the developer's site and check the system requirements for running the games you wish to play. Keep in mind that some games are very graphic intensive and since your machine is using an Intel HD 3000 it will max out at 512 MB of borrowed VRAM since you have 8 GB of real memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
i used bootcamp to try out Rifts. worked fine and gave native support to Windows for the hardware. When I was done playing, I removed the Bootcamp partition and merged it back to my system and all was good.

Looking at your system, however, you will have a major bottleneck with the video card. The intel card just is not beefy enough to get a good resolution for higher end games.

OP
M
Reaction score
i used bootcamp to try out Rifts. worked fine and gave native support to Windows for the hardware. When I was done playing, I removed the Bootcamp partition and merged it back to my system and all was good.

Looking at your system, however, you will have a major bottleneck with the video card. The intel card just is not beefy enough to get a good resolution for higher end games.

Can I buy a better card and have it fitted by apple do you know? And what card/price we looking at? Sorry for the questions but all the techy talk is a bit much for me haha.
i have played world of warcraft on this mac and it ran as smooth as anything and so does footbal manager 2013 and civilisations....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What kind of Mac? If it is a MacBook, then no, you cannot get a different video card. Same with the iMacs, you cant replace the video cards. The Mac Pro's can be replaced, but if you have a Mac Pro you would already have a card better than the Intel 3000.

OP
M
Reaction score
What kind of Mac? If it is a MacBook, then no, you cannot get a different video card. Same with the iMacs, you cant replace the video cards. The Mac Pro's can be replaced, but if you have a Mac Pro you would already have a card better than the Intel 3000.

I have a macBook Pro :( guessing no mmo for me :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, no upgrades possible. You can always try and see how they run.

OP
M
Reaction score
sorry, no upgrades possible. You can always try and see how they run.

I have just seen a few good other possible MMO being made compatible for MAC such as the lord of the rings online, Game of Thrones & The Elder Scrolls Online so will keep posted to them and see!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.