Recommend me an iPad based on my needs...

Reaction score
Hey,

Si I'm thinking about an iPad (already have a macbook pro and an iphone 4) but I'm not 100% on what one to go for: the mini or the new 4.

I've tried them both in my local Apple store and they both have benefits: the mini is nice and light and easier to hold in one hand and it's more portable. The 4 has the retina display and is, obviously, larger, plus it's more powerful.

I would want to use it for browsing the web, ebooks/magazines, possibly as a portable '4-track' for recording guitar (most likely just one or two tracks), running a few apps (like the wonders of the universe app from Brian Cox which looks awesome!) and for listening to music (although I have an ipod too so that's not essential).

At the moment I'm leaning towards a 32gb Mini wireless. My thinking for this is that the size seems more suited to ebooks as it can be held in one hand, but it also seems to be large enough for web browsing more comfortably than my iphone. Storage wise I think 32 would be fine as I wouldn't be putting too much music or video on there permanently.

The only thing that's really holding me back is that the ne ipad 4 seems more 'future proof' as it has the more powerful processor and the retina screen. However I feel it is a little too large and heavy compared to the mini for reading, and probably would need to be held with two hands, or rested on my lap or on a desk (in which case I could use my macbook).

I see the mini as fitting in between my current devices better - macbook for creating content and 'heavy' browsing, ipad mini for content viewing and lighter browsing, and iphone for taking photos, checking emails etc on the move - whereas the ipad 4 seems like a little too much for that role...

I know I sound pretty convinced, but I figured I'd put this out there for any advice and I could be convinced to go 4...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Comes down to which feels better in your hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My vote the iPad4 for the size of the screen and being Retina and sounds like you use Garage Band so more real-estate on the move sounds like it would work better besides you already have an iPhone for small portable one handed use.

OP
J
Reaction score
My vote the iPad4 for the size of the screen and being Retina and sounds like you use Garage Band so more real-estate on the move sounds like it would work better besides you already have an iPhone for small portable one handed use.

Having screen real estate for garageband isn't a major issue as I use Logic on my Macbook for any 'serious' recording - the iPad would just be if I wanted to stick an idea down quickly rather than for serious recording.

How does the mini's screen compare to my 2009 Macbook Pro and my iPhone 4?

I've heard people say that 'once you've gone retina you won't go back' but I haven't gone retina and have no complaints about either of the displays on my current apple products (apart from the iPhone being too small for anything other than 'where's the nearest takeaway?' style browsing)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Maybe a visit to the nearest Apple Store and hands on would help you decide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.