• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help!? Data retrieval for replaced directory...

S

SigmundFro

I accidentally replaced my desktop directory with a file from iPhoto (in an attempt to compress a photo I exported it from i Photo "onto" the desktop... which effectively replaced the desktop directory).

I have heard that it is possible to retrieve deleted files, but is it possible to retrieve data/ files from a directory if it has been overwritten?

Much thanks to anyone who responds with help!

-Justin

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am a little confused here. You have an image in iPhoto, which you exported to the desktop. I don't see a problem here, unless you named the image desktop. If so you should have received a error message saying you can not overwite a directory.

OP
S

SigmundFro

Let me be more specific:
I believe that I may have accidentally created a directory for my photo file to be exported to which somehow replaced my descktop directory. I did not carefully read the prompts before executing this.

My question is simply this: is it possible to retrieve an overwritten directory? If so then how?

Thank You,
Justin

SigmundFro said:
I accidentally replaced my desktop directory with a file from iPhoto (in an attempt to compress a photo I exported it from i Photo "onto" the desktop... which effectively replaced the desktop directory).

I have heard that it is possible to retrieve deleted files, but is it possible to retrieve data/ files from a directory if it has been overwritten?

Much thanks to anyone who responds with help!

-Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.