larger graphics files on the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I recently purchased a Nikon D800, and as you might expect the 45mb files it produces really strain my late 2011 MBP (i7 2.5 ghz 750 gb HD). Image loading times in Lightroom have really slowed down to a crawl and the fan howls in protest cooling off the graphics card whenever I'm saving or uploading files. Needless to say the battery life of the machine goes down about a percent every 30 seconds or so while working with these files as well.

So... would an SSD help things? I'm assuming that the slow loading is due to the hard drive having to work harder, don't really know how to keep the poor machine from sucking the battery dry. I already have 16 gb of memory on board.

Dan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure an SSD would help considerably, but have you thought about the capacity of an SSD that you would need? Large capacity SSDs are still quite expensive and have not come down in price as fast as we expected them to.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I'm sure an SSD would help considerably, but have you thought about the capacity of an SSD that you would need? Large capacity SSDs are still quite expensive and have not come down in price as fast as we expected them to.

l checked Crucial and there's a 512 gb SSD for about $450. Not exactly small change for about 2/3 the storage. I regularly move files off my hard drive to an external hard drive once they've been processed. So the onboard storage on my system really is short term.

Dan

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
l checked Crucial and there's a 512 gb SSD for about $450. Not exactly small change for about 2/3 the storage. I regularly move files off my hard drive to an external hard drive once they've been processed. So the onboard storage on my system really is short term.

Dan

That seems actually pretty reasonable considering I paid 375 for a 500 gb 7200 RPM when they first came out. I actually might just buy one. >_<"

Reaction score
Large capacity SSDs are still quite expensive
Not for someone buying a Nikon D800.

If I were that user. I would seriously consider the merits of putting not one, but TWO 480GB 6G Mercury Ultra Pro SSDs in my laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.