SSD drive for macbook pro?

Reaction score
My HHD on my macbook pro seems to be on it's last legs. It's making buzzing sounds and all that.

So obviously I need to change it before it really craps out on me. So i've got 2 questions:

1. i can just buy any internal HHD and unscrew the bottom and change it?
2. Can i get a solid state drive for it?

thanks for any comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core
1. i can just buy any internal HHD and unscrew the bottom and change it?

2. Can i get a solid state drive for it?

thanks for any comments.

Yes, and yes. I have an early 2011 17" MBPro that I originally ordered with the largest SSD available at the time, which was 256GB. I have now changed it out to a 480GB OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G, and took my existing SSD and replaced my Optical Drive with it, using a conversion kit from OWC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Definitely go for the SSD drive. The SSD's aren't cheap but well worth the cost for speed, less power consumption and no heat.

Reaction score
I just put a 240GB OWC SSD into the main bay, and moved my original HD to the optical bay, worked great and it is SO much faster now! highly recommend SSD..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I put a 512 GB Toshiba SSD in my 2010 MB Pro for $297 from OWC. It tests out at 3X faster than my old 500 GB 7200 ROM HDD that came with the machine. Best investment I have made with that machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.