Reinstalling lion os x

Reaction score
Hey guys i recently had mountain lion and kept getting kernel panic errors so i wanted to get lion back. So i went into recovery mode and erased my hard driver and trying to re-install lion with the option in recovery mode but it said that my account never bought it before. So technically when my computer can only boot in recovery mode. What can i do? I have the disc for lion os x but i dont know how to use it to install lion if i cant start up my computer normally. (since i erased my hard drive when i boot up my computer it has a file icon and a question mark that just blinks. And i never set up time machine before :| Am i screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You say you have the disk for Lion, is that a DVD or have you previously cloned your hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Further what operating system came with the computer when new? If OS X.6 Snow Leopard using the system install disc. Had you purchased Lion previously? Lion did not come on a DVD only downloadable like Mountain Lion unless of course you made a copy prior to running the install. A USB thumb drive was a far better option but you did need to make the copy prior to running the Installer. The problem with Lion and Mountain Lion is they remain the property of the person who paid for them at the App Store and do not carry over to new owners of the machines as DVDs did. This may help:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

OP
A
Reaction score
Someone gave me the disc and told me to use it but i have no idea how. It mountian and not lion my bad. Is there a way to use the disk in disk utilities to restore to mountain lion? When i boot up my computer it automatically goes into recovery mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not if you have failed to purchase it. You cannot use Recovery and download a new version as it is not in your Apple ID at the App Store. One of the disadvantages of using software illegally.

Then back to my previous question about original operating system and OS X.6.

OP
A
Reaction score
It came with lion not snow leopard

If I use disk utilities would it be possible to have a disc that have lion or mountain and download it to my hard drive?
Cause if I type in my apple Id reinstalling lion it tell me that I didn't buy it, and if I don't have access to the app store since I didn't backup and erased my hard drive then how would I get lion or mountain lion back on to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you do not own it very difficult. Will cause headaches the operating system belonging always to the purchaser and not the computer. Suggest you ring Apple and order Snow Leopard at $29. install that and upgrade to version OS X.6.8 and go into the App Store, set up and account in the App Store, download Mountain Lion, burn to a USB thumb drive prior to installing, and then install and update Mountain Lion. Here is how to make the thumb drive:-

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/25/building-an-os-x-mountain-lion-installer-thumb-drive/

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok if I buy the disc how would I even use it if i can only go into recovery mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends on the model yet to be established. If it will run Snow Leopard OS X.6, ring Apple and order that DVD. Saw elsewhere number is 1800-my-apple. Did you purchase Mountain Lion or was it also a copy?

What operating system did the computer run when new? We can find this out if you provide model details.

OP
A
Reaction score
It's a MacBook in mid 2010 I believe.
The mountain lion is a copy

Would it work if I made a boot-able thumb drive from my sister computer which has mountain lion for will that not work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very adverse to lashing out and buying SL. The thumb drive has to be made prior to running the Installer. Once installed the package vanishes.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok so once I get snow leopard how would I use it?
Wohen I put in snow leopard what would I have to do so my computer will have sl on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Put the SL DVD in your optical drive and double click on the installer and follow the prompts and that really all there is too it .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.