Adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
When I got my first Mac and upgraded to OS X.. MSN and ICQ were in full swing.. Anyways Adium was the app of choice for IM chat.
I've used it ever since, but these days, it has been acting a bit weird. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting..
Any ideas? Are there any other IM apps (old or new) out there that are better than Adium?

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I just came across Trillian... How does that app compare with Adium.. I found out something else too.. It appears that both apps are having the same problem with my facbook chat login.. they keep on connecting and reconnecting.
Anyone else facing the same issues??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Probably has to do with the chat protocol. I would report the bug on Adiums website.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably has to do with the chat protocol. I would report the bug on Adiums website.
I'll probably do just that. Started working again like normal. I noticed this for about two days. I'm guessing the problem may not lie with Adium, but rather Facebook itself. After all Trillian is facing the same problem. :\

That said, my other question still remains unanswered. Is there another chat client out there better than Adium??
'Cuz I'm wondering why Adium isn't included in the App store if it is the best.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'll probably do just that. Started working again like normal. I noticed this for about two days. I'm guessing the problem may not lie with Adium, but rather Facebook itself. After all Trillian is facing the same problem. :\

That said, my other question still remains unanswered. Is there another chat client out there better than Adium??
'Cuz I'm wondering why Adium isn't included in the App store if it is the best.

It's my favorite by far because its so customizable, also because it supports so many chat protocols. Been waiting for Video chat patiently. It doesn't really need it but it would be a cool feature.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's my favorite by far because its so customizable, also because it supports so many chat protocols. Been waiting for Video chat patiently. It doesn't really need it but it would be a cool feature.
I hear you regarding the customization.. You can make it look so cool and have so much functionality.. Have to admit the developers have done good.
Was just wondering if there was anything out there that would beat it... :Smirk:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As to not being on the App Store, not all developers decide it to be in their best interest to give 30% of every sale to Apple.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to not being on the App Store, not all developers decide it to be in their best interest to give 30% of every sale to Apple.

Well Adium is free donations are welcome. You bring up a pretty convincing point though. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.