Tips for buying 15" Macbook Retina

Reaction score
Guys,

I am hoping this will be a quick one!

Basically, I finally stumbled into the mac store yesterday after trying as hard as I could to avoid the 15" rMBP, as I knew it would spell the end for my late '08 aluminum macbook, as now I am trying to figure out the best way to offload that so I can get my hands on the retina pro.

But I am aware of some screen issues (as far as I can tell, image retention, mainly on the LG screens) and I have the command to check in terminal what screen it has.

My question is though, is this still an issue? Or are new rMBP units shipping with IR issues? Is anyone aware of an update to the line that will resolve this issues and that I should hold off?

Any advice would be great, I certainly don't want to splurge $2,000 on something that isn't perfect!

Many thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personally, I can't recommend the retina machine for several reasons.... not upgradeable is at the top of my list, and secondly, it's just too expensive for what it gives you (even for a MBP). My choice would be the 15" standard MBP which is upgradeable and much less expensive. I would wait for the retina refresh which should be forthcoming next year to see what improvements Apple has made to it.

The above is my opinion, if you're still inclined to spend $2000 +, then by all means go for it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah I am so torn, for all the reasons you mention. I hate that not even the battery can be swapped out. But I am a complete sucker for the retina screen, not because of any real image quality benefits, I like it because I can scale it so the OS is generally much tinier on the screen and have a lot more real estate.

I guess my best bet is to try and keep my current macbook alive for as long as I can until the next year sometime!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.