lost sound function on Mac 5.10.8

Reaction score
i seem to accidentally have lost sound and sound function control on my laptop ,
could you please advise me how to restore it please?
i am not very savvy in this computer caper yet!
Thank you
Sam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't have a "laptop" computer. My keyboard has three sound keys (little Megaphone with "sound waves"). One of them is a mute key. Maybe you muted the speakers accidently. Which model of Mac do you have?

OP
C
Reaction score
I can see those keys,i press on each of them but i get the prohibit symbol across

I don't have a "laptop" computer. My keyboard has three sound keys (little Megaphone with "sound waves"). One of them is a mute key. Maybe you muted the speakers accidently. Which model of Mac do you have?
I can see those keys,i press on each of them but i get the prohibit symbol across each of them. Mac 10.5.8 Thank you sam

OP
C
Reaction score
I can see those keys,i press on each of them but i get the prohibit symbol across each of them. Mac 10.5.8 Thank you sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you messed around in System Preferences > Sound to see if changing any settings there will fix your problem?

OP
C
Reaction score
Have you messed around in System Preferences > Sound to see if changing any settings there will fix your problem?
Thank you, but I checked the sound preference panel, and compared with my other Mac,
Lion, laptop and it was all the same details,
But I seem to have fixe d the problem, by turning the computer off, and when I turned on
There was a bunch of updates of some kind, and after I finished installing them the
Sound returned to normal, PS when the sound was off there was not sound coming from the
Headphones either. I wonder if I learned anything from this experience? Besides to be prepared for more problems in the future.
Tanks for your help,
Sam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work. Software updates and rebooting can fix a lot of problems. Guess this comes about as we now only turn our Macs into the reboot process after updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah, I reboot at least six times a week!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.