Mountain Lion's "Hidden" fix it system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Want to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.

In the past, I have used a utility called Applejack that runs in single user mode direct from the app installed on the hard drive that checks my system for problems and automatically "fixes" any problems it finds. It has been a life saver over anything that Apple's Disk Utility has ever done. However, when checking developer's website (sourceforge.net) the discussion there refers to the "hidden" utility in Mountain Lion as doing pretty much the same thing.

I have checked Apple's info on Mountain Lion and find nothing about this "new?" utility. Can anyone give me some info on this OS addition: how it works, what it does, etc.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They're referring to the recovery mode/partition.

Essentially, AppleJack offers you an easy way to run Disk Utility (the command line equivalent) without having to have a system disc at hand. It had a few other nice options, like the ability to purge caches and run cron scripts, but those can easily be done with the system running - and not having done them will never prevent the Mac from booting.

The Lion and Mountain Lion Recovery partition allows you to run Disk Utility without booting from your main OS X partition, and without the need for a disc, rendering AppleJack mostly redundant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.