iPhone apps stay with the Sim card?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I think I know the answer but I'd be guessing,
Looking at upgrading my iPhone in the new year, do all my apps carry across with the the new phone?
Hate to have to get them all again
Regards,
Gary

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Do apps transfer from other hardware?

Hi Guys,
I'm going "Fully Mac" in the new year, (thats is I don't go broke in the mean time ;))
Will be getting an iPad for Xmas, (iHope), and iMac early in the new year

When I get the iPad, like my iCloud info on the iPhone
Will all my apps transfer from my iPhone as well?
Regards,
Gary

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They do not somehow magically download to a new device.

All app purchases are tied to your Apple ID and are available for download from any iOS device that uses your Apple ID.

You can backup your old phone in iTunes and then restore that backup to the new phone.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Tks Bob,
Guess the apps are not that expensive in the first place

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Tks Bob,
Guess the apps are not that expensive in the first place

Once you've bought them, you can re-download them at any time so long you are using the same Apple ID. You never have to pay for them again. But if you back up your device on your computer first, then restore the new device using that backup, you won't have to bother re-downloading them or lose any data.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Once you've bought them, you can re-download them at any time so long you are using the same Apple ID. You never have to pay for them again. But if you back up your device on your computer first, then restore the new device using that backup, you won't have to bother re-downloading them or lose any data.
Appreciate the heads-up
That is good news
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
They do not somehow magically download to a new device.

All app purchases are tied to your Apple ID and are available for download from any iOS device that uses your Apple ID.

You can backup your old phone in iTunes and then restore that backup to the new phone.

Technically this is not correct. I wouldn't call it magic, exactly.. but when one buys a new iOS device, they have an option to restore from a previous backup. That includes apps, messages, calender events, contacts, bookmarks, screen saver.

Personally speaking, I'd rather set a new device up AS a new device *which is an option when going through iOS setup* and do as you said, just go to the App Store and iTunes store and use the "purchased" tab in order to re download my previously downloaded apps and songs/videos etc. Why would I rather do it this way? Well for one thing, I'm a stickler for starting fresh. Secondly, I may not want every little dumb thing I've previously downloaded. These are just two reasons. There are more, but I digress.

Doug

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Tks Doug,
I have a lot to learn,
Regards,
Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.