Sending emails

Reaction score
Help please. I cant send emails. One day, i was unable to send. I got an error message saying unable to send. I have checked all the settings against the settings on my laptop which uses wi-fi and which does send mail. They are the same. What next? My mac is osx 10.5.8 so doesn't support icloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Help please. I cant send emails. One day, i was unable to send. I got an error message saying unable to send. I have checked all the settings against the settings on my laptop which uses wi-fi and which does send mail. They are the same. What next? My mac is osx 10.5.8 so doesn't support icloud

It would help to know just what email service you are using. Judging from your comment that you can't use iCloud, I'm guessing you were using MobileMe. If so, you have no choice but to upgrade to at least Lion if you can run it. MobileMe has been shuttered and you can only use iCloud now. On the plus side, you can get Snow Leopard for free from Apple now if you were in fact a MobileMe subscriber so you can then get Lion.
Apple offers free Snow Leopard to MobileMe subscribers | Macworld

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like the free Snow Leopard is gone :( thought I'd grab another copy, but just takes you to a closed page.

I never saw that availability - they def did not mail their mobileme customers and tell us that.

Which means you'll have to call Apple to get a copy of it - only available by calling - and much cheaper from them than anywhere else you can find online.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am using mobile me. I have already upgraded software - i think to leopard. What is confusing is that i can still send emails from my lap-top (os x 10.6.8) using mobile me imap account.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
MobileMe is no more... It went away several months ago for all of us that had that service and would guess that at some point, your ability to send email without signing up to iCloud will also go away.

Head for https://www.icloud.com and get it set up.

If you are running 10.6.8, that is Snow Leopard (Leopard is 10.5.x.) and you should already have an iCloud preference pane in System Preferences.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I understand - you have 2 machines - 1 is 10.5 and 1 is 10.6...

To set up iCloud manually in 10.5 - use these instructions - link.

(and only 1 thread with same question is necessary)

OP
C
Reaction score
Now I understand - you have 2 machines - 1 is 10.5 and 1 is 10.6...

To set up iCloud manually in 10.5 - use these instructions - link.

(and only 1 thread with same question is necessary)

Thanks very much for this information. I am new to the idea of threads so sorry for getting it wrong!

You have told me to move to icloud and I will follow the link you suggested. but that still doesn't explain why the send mail function is working perfectly on the laptop and not at all on the 'other' mac. I would have thought that if Mobile was going t stop working, then it should do so for the account whether sending from lap top or other mac. it is the same mail account.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6.8 has iCloud
10.5 does not have iCloud.

My guess - you have already set up iCloud at some point.

You can verify that by opening Mail - Preferences on the Mac where you are running 10.6.8 and looking at "Accounts". Does that machine indicate an iCloud account or a MobileMe account?

While it may be the same account to you - and uses the same email address - it is now being run from different servers than MobileMe was being run from and requires different info in order to access the new servers.

OP
C
Reaction score
10.6.8 has iCloud
10.5 does not have iCloud.

My guess - you have already set up iCloud at some point.

You can verify that by opening Mail - Preferences on the Mac where you are running 10.6.8 and looking at "Accounts". Does that machine indicate an iCloud account or a MobileMe account?

While it may be the same account to you - and uses the same email address - it is now being run from different servers than MobileMe was being run from and requires different info in order to access the new servers.

Thanks. Have looked in System Preferences for 10.6.8 and it is a MobileMe IMAP account! (And I dont recall setting up iCloud because so far as I knew, icloud wouldn't work on the 10.5 Mac, so I never tried anything like that). Still a mystery!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not asking to look in System Preferences - I still have a MobileMe pref pane there also - you need to open Mail and look at your account settings.

If it still has a MobileMe account listed there on the machine that is working, not sure what you have going on - but you're going to have to switch to iCloud - I already cannot connect to the MobileMe servers that were servicing my account and your ability to connect to them will cease when they are all taken off line.

You should also have the iCloud pref pane in System Preferences in 10.6.8 and will need to open that up and enable iCloud - that automatically changes the settings for your email to the new servers.

OP
C
Reaction score
Not asking to look in System Preferences - I still have a MobileMe pref pane there also - you need to open Mail and look at your account settings.

If it still has a MobileMe account listed there on the machine that is working, not sure what you have going on - but you're going to have to switch to iCloud - I already cannot connect to the MobileMe servers that were servicing my account and your ability to connect to them will cease when they are all taken off line.

You should also have the iCloud pref pane in System Preferences in 10.6.8 and will need to open that up and enable iCloud - that automatically changes the settings for your email to the new servers.

Thanks again. My mistake. I did look in the Mail preferences NOT system preferences!! I have now checked the System Preferences and I do have a Mobile Me icon under Internet and Wireless, but not an icloud one.

I have looked in Mail Preferences in the 10.5 and it is Mobile Me and IMAP there are Mobile Me icon in the system preferences. Thank you very much for staying with me on this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just found more info - some of this is new to me as I haven't used 10.6 in awhile.

Apparently with Snow Leopard the old imap.mail.me.com still works.
Sorry, my misinformation - you would not have the iCloud icon in 10.6 - it requires 10.7 in order to integrate with OS X.

I would try that link in post #7 and verify your settings in 10.5 match - if not change it - if they do and I am suspecting they already do match, would probably try to remove the account and set it up anew. If you need the mail you have on that machine saved locally - would save it prior to removing the account.

More info on using iCloud with 10.6 - link.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just found more info - some of this is new to me as I haven't used 10.6 in awhile.

Apparently with Snow Leopard the old imap.mail.me.com still works.
Sorry, my misinformation - you would not have the iCloud icon in 10.6 - it requires 10.7 in order to integrate with OS X.

I would try that link in post #7 and verify your settings in 10.5 match - if not change it - if they do and I am suspecting they already do match, would probably try to remove the account and set it up anew. If you need the mail you have on that machine saved locally - would save it prior to removing the account.

More info on using iCloud with 10.6 - link.

Ok. That's a lot of information for me to digest and work through. Will try. many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's Apple article on how to configure Snow Leopard to use iCloud's mail service.
iCloud: Configuring Mail with Mac OS X v10.6 or iOS 4

I would think Leopard would work just fine also. There's nothing special or unique about these settings that would require any particular OS. If Mail doesn't work, then maybe a 3rd party mail app would. If there's no good reason to not upgrade to Snow Leopard, then I would just look at doing that. Snow Leopard is functionally very much like Leopard, but under the hood it is very much improved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.