Illustrator CS

Reaction score
I work on a Mini Mac which I have installed OSX Snow Leopard and Photoshop CS5.

My problem is that much of my previous work is in Illustrator CS and now I can no longer
open any of my old files or produce any new work in Illustrator.

I believe that I can not use CS any more and will need to upgrade. Is this true and I can never open an old file.

If true which upgrade should I get without having to spend to much money.

My work dose not warrant to much sophisticated software.

My home is Leigh on Sea in Essex UK

I look forward to any kind help,

Roy Slmon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I take it you own CS5 from Windows

You can cross grade any of your Windows apps over to Mac versions, but you will still pay the upgrade cost, but at least you dont have to buy full versions

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Louishen, no I do not work with Windows apps. I just need to activate my old Illustrator files!
Thanks for your suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just want to open and edit some, but dont want to fork out for a new Illustrator license, then give Inkscape a try, its an open source vector program

Inkscape. Draw Freely.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi Louishen, no I do not work with Windows apps. I just need to activate my old Illustrator files!
Thanks for your suggestion.

Don't you need Illustrator to open your old Illustrator files?

OP
R
Reaction score
I have illustrator CS but now I have installed Snow Leopard I can no longer any old illustrator files!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your support but can I just confirm if I download inkscape with Snow Leopard installed will I
be able to open my old CS files or do I need to install Rosetta?

Thanks again all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use inkscape without needing Rosetta

If you want to install and use your old Illustrator CS instead, that would require the installation of Rosetta for the Installer, and Illustrator to run

OP
R
Reaction score
Amazon offer Rosetta Stone version 4 Totale English 1,2,3,4 & 5 Mac QS X @ £209.00 is this a good price?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depends - on whether you are wanting to learn a new language or not?
It looks like you already speak English, so probably not a good buy for you.

Rosetta Stone sells language learning software.

You want Rosetta (free) - an emulator that allows PPC software to run on an Intel Mac.

Just install CS and open it - at some point it will tell you, you need Rosetta and will ask if you want to install it - or, it's entirely possible you may already have Rosetta installed and CS will just open - or attempt to open. (I have no clue whether CS will in fact work in Snow Leopard or not.)

You need to read the link louishen posted above to learn how to install Rosetta:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167117/reinstalling_rosetta.html

OP
R
Reaction score
When I try to open it states "Illustrator CS quit unexpectedly" followed by reams of failure data.
No info on Rosetta or how to open file! As I am not that efficient with downloading software I have
read the link on installing Rosetta through Snow Leopard but I am concerned that I may not be
successful due to the current failure which has only come about since installing Snow Leopard.
I am able to work with Quark and Photoshop but no Illustrator!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Illustrator will not run at all without Rosetta installed, hence the immediate quitting

OP
R
Reaction score
I am confused. Rosetta software is a language learning program and I can not understand how it will allow
me to open my old Illustrator CS files? I do not seem to find any reference to a Rosetta (free) on the net!
Can you clarify for me where I can download Rosetta which is not the language program. As I stated before
I am not very good on the technical side of Mac software just like working with them.
Thanks all for your kind help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One more time:

"Rosetta Stone" is a company that sells language learning software and their software will not help you to open your old Illustrator files.

"Rosetta" is an application that emulates the old PPC processors (aka CPU) Apple used in years gone by to enable older software to run on the current processors (Intel) that they are using.

It does not get any easier than opening the link louishen has already provided and following the directions to install Rosetta from your Snow Leopard disk.

That link again:
Reinstalling Rosetta | Macworld

Another link describing how to install Rosetta:
Mac OS X 10.6: If you need to install Rosetta

Or go with his first recommendation and download and install Inkscape - that link is still up there in post # 4.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have now installed Rosetta and not only can I still not open my Illustrator files but also I can no longer
open my Quark files. I took my Mini mac to my local dealer and he confirmed that Rosetta would not
support both mu Illustrator or Quark? This information seems to contradict much of the comments which
I have been given from this site. As I explained I am not very technical on software so I have become
unsure on what I need to do! My local dealer suggests purchasing a second hand Illustrator CS4 or 5
which should allow me to open old files and buy a Quark Passport / multi languages program! As you will understand I am reluctant to go out and buy 2 programs if once downloaded they to will not open my
old files. Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.