Wireless Keyboard and Emulators

Reaction score
I use an emulator via the internet for work. When I connect to this emulator, my keyboard will not work until going to system preferences - keyboard - and hitting the "reset defaults" button. At this point I can now use the keyboard with the emulator. I'm using a Mac desktop with the OS X ver 10.8.2 operating system. This issue started when I downloaded one of the latest updates in the last two weeks. Anyone know what setting or other issue could be causing this problem?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Without knowing more about this emulator and how it is working, we can't begin to guess..

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow, I couldn't begin to tell you much about this particular emulator except to say that it is a very old system. Anyway, I did some more searching and found this answer regarding some type of gaming emulator and it seems to have worked so far.

"Great.... so clearly we have a problem with something that is loading for your original user. Next thing to try is going to the System Preferences > Accounts and make a note of all the login items for your user. Then remove them all. Reboot and see if the emulator works. If so, then one of those items was the problem. It's just a matter of re-adding them one at a time to see what the culprit was.

If removing those doesn't do the trick, then something is foul in your Library. We'll tackle that last if need be."

I removed these items and rebooted, went to the emulator and the keyboard worked without the system preferences procedure. As info, the only item checked under login in items for my user was some kind of itunes item. Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
No, I guess that didn't work. Right after posting the last reply, I went right to the emulator and the keyboard didn't work. What was funny was that I went to system preferences - user accounts and login items, nothing was checked. I then closed system preferences and the keyboard worked. What type of info would you need regarding the emulator and could you tell me where I could find the info you need?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.