Questions about back up, time machine and time capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
Hey,

1. When I sync my iPhone with itunes it also insists in backing up my files. I can choose between backing up to my computer and iCloud. I manually delete the back up every time, but is there a way to turn that back up off completely?
  2. Now I could be wrong but it seemed like when I hooked my iphone to my Mac iPhoto automatically started to transfer pictures from my phone to what ever destination. If that is true, how do I stop that? I have temporarily stopped it by deleting the iPhoto Library file so iPhoto won't start up when I connect my iPhone due to the missing iPhoto library file.
  3. My Time Capsule goes to sleep. How can I tell it to never sleep? Not a big fan of those 3-4 seconds I have to wait for it to start up when entering it. Or better, maybe I can tell him only to sleep during the night?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. iTunes - Preferences - Devices - place check in 'Prevent iPods, etc from syncing automatically'. Or set your device to manually manage.

2. It does not start to import pics automatically. It does open up and show you the pics on the phone so that you can select which ones you would like to import.

You can turn that off by opening iPhoto - Preferences - General - change 'Connecting camera opens:' to 'No application'

3. Time Capsule (an external router/hard drive combo and am assuming you are opening it by using the Finder) or Time Machine (the application)?

And why are you entering it all that often?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
1. iTunes - Preferences - Devices - place check in 'Prevent iPods, etc from syncing automatically'. Or set your device to manually manage.

I've done that. it doesn't sync automatically so that's not the problem. I still would like to sync my apps. Problem is that when syncing it at the same time backs up the entire phone which is tons of pictures and other files which I have already backed up. So when I click sync to sync Apps, I want it to sync my Apps between the Mac and the iphone but not back up the entire phone like it does now.

3. Time Capsule (an external router/hard drive combo and am assuming you are opening it by using the Finder) or Time Machine (the application)?

And why are you entering it all that often?

Time capsule, which I use as router and external HDD. I have my Time machine back ups there AND it is the house wifi HDD for TV's, phones, ipads and other devices. So it is entered quite often during the day by many of us. I would like it to NOT go to sleep, or better go to sleep only during the night.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Disable Automatic iTunes Backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod

2. There is no option to stop the hard drive from spinning down when not being used that I am aware of. Definitely not an option in Airport Utility which is where it would be if there I think. You might find some 3rd party utility, but personally, am not a big fan of having hard drives spinning continuously.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, could you explain to me how time machine works when I delete files? Just now I deleted a pretty big back up file from my phone, several GB, but I know time machine did a back up before I was able to do this. So is this phone back up which I deleted available in time machine or is it deleted there too after the next time machine back up? If it's not deleted in time machine that would mean that every file that is loaded in to the Mac will be backed up by time machine and my time machine back up will increase in size quite rapidly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is not deleted from the Time Machine backup. However, if you removed those backups immediately after their creation, they would not be on the TM backup unless it backed up between the time of creation and the time of deletion.

Personally, I do not require all those backups of previous files, so I just blow away and start the TM backup over again once every year or two on my machines - lots of files in and out.. My wife's TM has been backing up to the same file for 5 yrs now and still not that big.

If you are not wanting hourly backups, there are several TM scheduling apps out there to choose from. Not using one myself, so have no specific recommendation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.