Running a Mac Pro without a PCIE Fan?

Reaction score
I installed a new HD 7970 into my Mac pro 2010 and after boot it sends the PCIE fan into full throttle at 100% and becomes very loud.

I'm running the 7970 in bootcamp to play some games.

Do I really need the PCIE fan in the first place, the card is being kept pretty cool by the fans on the card itself.

Will I do damage by running my mac pro without a PCIE fan in there?

Reaction score
It would be wise to install a temperature monitor when disabling the PCIE fan.
If it runs too hot, stop your activities before any damage will be done.

I suspect that your Mac will also shut down on it's own as a safety measure, before it reaches critical temperatures.

SM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I installed a new HD 7970 into my Mac pro 2010 and after boot it sends the PCIE fan into full throttle at 100% and becomes very loud.

I'm running the 7970 in bootcamp to play some games.

Do I really need the PCIE fan in the first place, the card is being kept pretty cool by the fans on the card itself.

Will I do damage by running my mac pro without a PCIE fan in there?

I understand that you installed a 7970 video card to play games in bootcamp. But a 7970 Windows video card…was never intended to be installed in an Apple Mac Pro computer.

So the Mac Pro is probably reacting "confused" in some way…saying to itself…"Why is this Windows video card installed in me?" I'm pretty positive the 7970 Windows video card is the problem (non-Mac video card).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.