Dead Macbook... Suggestions on what to do with hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Black, Early 2007) Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Alright, so my 5 year old MacBook died a few months ago. I know why it died and I know how to fix it, but it really isn't worth it (specs are pretty bad). That hard drive, though, does have a lot of information that I would like to recover (iTunes library, pictures, and videos). I recently purchased a windows laptop to replace my mac (I couldn't afford another mac this time around). Ultimately, I would love to convert this hard drive to an external (after I recover my files). Any suggestions as the best/ easiest way to do this? Thank you so much in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ultimately, I would love to convert this hard drive to an external (after I recover my files). Any suggestions as the best/ easiest way to do this? Thank you so much in advance.

Just:

- open up your MacBook
- extract the hard drive
- purchase an external SATA hard drive case
- install the former MacBook hard drive into the case
- plug this external HD into your new computer
- format the HD for a Windows computer

Done!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was exactly what I was going to do, but what about salvaging the music, photo, and video files?

Reaction score
That was exactly what I was going to do, but what about salvaging the music, photo, and video files?
Just use another Mac to copy them off.

In other news, I have a Oyen Digital external drive case with FW800 ports (and FW800 cable) for sale for $40 if you want it. That's less than half price. PM me if you're interested.

Reaction score
i just did that actually, but i got an Air so i don't know if that will make a huge difference, it basically makes you HD like a flash drive and you can access it like you would in your finder/my computer. i doubt its different on PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Transfer them to some sort of other storage device/storage media before reformatting the HD.

-Nick

Reaction score
if you just want to use it as an external hard drive i don't think you need to reformat it. he's not going to be running a computer off it, seems like it will just be used for storage. or does it have to be formatted to access it from PC? i don't think, although some stuff might not be viewable but media files should be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
he's not going to be running a computer off it, seems like it will just be used for storage. or does it have to be formatted to access it from PC? i don't think, although some stuff might not be viewable but media files should be.

OP is switching from a Macintosh computer to a Windows computer. Hard drive formatting for Macintosh computers and Windows computers are different. Some files may be viewable…but for best compatibility…it's best to reformat the HD for the platform it is being used with.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transfer them to some sort of other storage device/storage media before reformatting the HD.

-Nick

So you're saying that before I format the drive, I'll be able to see the compatible files (mp3, jpeg, mp4, etc)? I'm just hoping that I don't see the "You're going to have to format this drive before using it" message :-(

Reaction score
i swapped music between my old Dell and my macbook core duo on an external, you shouldn't have any problem viewing you media files. you can also copy your entire hard drive as is to an external (or just leave it, that would make more sense) and boot it up on another mac through the USB...

i haven't done this before but i'm almost certain you can do this, you will have to tell the computer to boot from the hard-drive somehow and restart. i imagine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.