USB port problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 5.1
Hello, i recently made a huge mistake. I bought a universal power source, you know the one that allows you to change the voltage and such. and it came with little adapters to mach the device youre going to use.

well i screw up, big time!, i connected a USB hub to the power source but i think i change the polarity, you know, the - and +, and it damage one usb flash drive, one portable HDD and 2 out 3 usb ports of my imac.

i know it was a stupid mistake, and probably damage the ports in my imac. Does anyone can help me?

please!

sorry about my english BTW

my imac specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2
Serial Number (system): W86477C5VUX
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2C68FD3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
pastelado
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 5.1
sounds like you are down to one working usb port

you are going to have to use a hub to connect your stuff from now on, and avoid mucking around with the electrical supply to your devices

yes, thats what im doing, but the port that works wont even reads a portable HDD, its like's working at 50%.

Can i replace that damage module of the imac? the one with all the ports... i know i can do it myself if it is possible...

what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Your only fix would be to replace the logic board. These are no longer available from Apple as your iMac is classed as vintage. The Late 2006 17" iMac is old now, it wouldn't be economically viable to fit even a used logic board unless you got it very cheap.

OP
pastelado
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 5.1
Your only fix would be to replace the logic board. These are no longer available from Apple as your iMac is classed as vintage. The Late 2006 17" iMac is old now, it wouldn't be economically viable to fit even a used logic board unless you got it very cheap.

many thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.