Mac Noob Alert!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First time user on Mac Mini running OS X10.4.11 | iPhone 5 | iPhone 3GS
What's up community!

I'm a total Mac noob, just started up my second hand mini mac still on Tiger (10.4.11)!

I'm trying to get to know how it works so I'm trying to ditch my win 7 laptop at work and jump feet first into this Apple lark :)

My question is, what's the best way to get started finding out how this thing works? Quite a stupid question in reality but I'm a Xerox analyst so I've messed around with printers, as my calling suggests, but i could do with a word processor and an email client if I'm to rely on my mac.

Any suggestions for good software? Is there a word processor in this thing? Is the mail client good enough or would you suggest a third party one?

Most importantly: What cool gadgets does this baby have :D

Thanks guys, I'll try not to clog up the site with annoying noob questions !

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Does it have Pages installed? There is Word for Mac available also.

I don't use Apple's Mail (just internet based e-mail) but many do and it works just fine for them. It's an individual preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15" HDAG Late 2011, quad core i7 2.5, 256ssd/750hdd 16gb memory|IPhone 5 32gb|iPad 3 64G
I went to OSX on my Dell XPS about a year ago and thought same.. *** does this all do... about a week ago my Macbook pro arrived :)

Stick with it. Deffo worth the switch. Although I still consider myself a newb on Mac. (I only found out about cmd-shift-4 this week!)

Play with settings app for a little, and then forget about it.. it will all just work.

Apps wise.. hrm.
Safari is grand for www, never needed anything else.
try to work out finder,
look at terminal - gives you proper shell access, especially if you want to look under the hood.
If you need word processor spreadsheet etc.. MS Office for Mac is pretty good to help with transition.
I use apple mail, but could do outlook if I fancied it.

Enjoy.

C

chas_m

There's a built in word processor called TextEdit. Basic, but quite good.

For $20, there's Pages. Love it, but it's not like MS Word and requires attitude adjustment.

There's MS Office for Mac, and the (IMO fugly) open-source Office alternatives.

I like Bean, a little free word processor that just does the job and stays out of my way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The word processor that comes on the Mac, TextEdit, is adequate for most things, stripped down and no-frills, and it syncs your documents with iCloud. The Mac version of MS Office has more bells and whistles but iWork is a nice alternative too. If you're not nitpicky and if cost is a factor, there are the flat but serviceable open source options.

I use Mail and it does everything I need it to do and more in a streamlined, uncluttered interface. I had to help a student of mine with Outlook recently and man, what a headache it was looking at a window stuffed with so many ribbons and tabs and toolbars crowded with icons and text.

Some good online sources of general OS X information can be found on Apple's website, where there are text and video tutorials.

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Apple - Support - Switch 101

The Help menu in the menu bar is also actually very helpful and has a lot of answers pretty clearly organized.

Gadgets? Not sure what you mean, as any variety of gadgets will plug and play on a Mac. But the Magic Trackpad is really nifty to use in conjunction with the Magic Mouse and there's also Time Capsule, a wireless external hard drive that works with Time Machine on your Mac to regularly backup your files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
You are in a good place to get all the help you need. Oneironaut mentioned Time Machine in the post above. I encourage you to get Time Machine set up as soon as you can using either a Time Capsule or external hdd. If you are going to use an external hdd, try to get one twice the size of the internal hdd for Time Machine. Once an external hdd is plugged in, Time Machine will almost set itself up!
My point is, once you have a solid back up, play hard with your new mini and enjoy the OSX. If something gets messed up by mistake, you always have the Time Machine back up to get you going again...and you have this forum. There is software available to make it possible to boot from an external hdd as well as back up files. Two I know of are Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper. These will copy the OSX to the drive. I won't say any more about CCC or SD...I use neither so I cannot speak for or against either one.
Also I encourage you to download Onyx by Titanium Software for your specific OS version. It is a highly recommended app for doing periodic maintenance, optimization and a system personalization tool. It is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.