iTunes ID, Apple ID, etc., etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Hi All -

I'd like to change my apple ID but when I attempt it I'm told that the email address I'm using is already being used (by me). Is there a way to switch to the email address I want to use?

This is probably a "Duh" question but thanks for your help.

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'd like to change my apple ID but when I attempt it I'm told that the email address I'm using is already being used (by me). Is there a way to switch to the email address I want to use?

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are doing. You can't change your Apple ID. You can change the email address that is associated with your Apple ID, but if you want a different ID entirely, you have to make a new one.

I realize it's a bit confusing. The Apple ID intially is the same as your email address, but once you've made that ID, you can change the associated email address. Even if you do that, the Apple ID is named after the "old" address. I have an Apple ID that was created to match an email service that I don't even use anymore, so my Apple ID looks like a defunct email address even though my current email address is tied to it in my preferences.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Apple ID Change

Thank you for your answer. I'm glad you were able to understand my question given the combination of the two "names" - the acct ID and the email.

Much appreciated!

Rich

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.