Macbook MA699LL/A or MA700LL/A

Reaction score
I have a macbook2.1 according to the identifier, with a 1.83 GHz intel core 2 duo processor. (MA699LL/A or MA700LL/A) I recently had to replace the hard drive, and because I didn't have the grey disks that came with the unit, I ordered a copy of Snow Leopard, and tried running the install. It told me to create a partition, which I did, but it won't continue past that point. I created a partition using Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and when I try to select it to continue loading the OS, it has an exclamation point. It won't allow me to continue, and says i need to repartition the disk using disk utilities. Should I have chose a different format?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you booted your MacBook with the Snow Leopard DVD, did you enter Disk Utility from the top menu "Utilities"? It's from there that you can partition the disk and format it. However, a brand new disk should be partitioned as a single partition. In other words, the entire disk. Then it can be formatted and named.

Format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled. The GUID scheme is automatically selected for you. At the same time, name it "MacIntosh HD". After that is completed you can proceed with installing the operating system.

OP
J
Reaction score
Is formatting different than erasing? I saw an option to erase the disk, but I didn't see an option to format. Feeling a bit ignorant right now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, formatting is different although Disk Utility handles both at the same time.

Here's a brief overview:

1. From Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left side. Click on the line that shows the capacity of the drive.

2. Click erase at the top of the screen.

3. Select format as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

4. Name your drive. (MacIntosh HD) or whatever you wish.

5. Click erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window. The drive will be formatted. (May take awhile depending on size.)

After finishing the formatting, you can escape out of Disk Utility and proceed with installing OS X and applications.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Just that one little piece (GUID scheme in the options) during the partitioning made all the difference. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.