2x 3,2 ghz quad mac pro w/30 inch cinema or 27 inch iMac i7?

Reaction score
Hi!

I consider buying a table-top mac for music production at home. I've been looking at the 3,4ghz imac 27 inch, but now I saw advertised a mac pro 2x3,2 quad xeon with a 30 inch cinemal display (lcd).

What do you think? I am tempted to go for the mac pro, but I'm worried about the screen giving more strain to my eyes. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The Mac Pro has many advantages - four hard drive bays, upgradeable memory to 64GB, upgradeable gfx cards, tray loading optical drive for starters. Have a look at a 30" display and see what you thing. Not much difference between 27 and 30.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Depends on the price of the Mac Pro vs. the iMac.
- Depends if you need the multi-video card abilities of the Mac Pro.
- Depends if you need the multi internal HD abilities of the Mac Pro.
- You also didn't mention how much ram the Mac Pro comes with.

As far as the 30" monitor and eye strain. I think that you'll find that the screen resolution to be similar on the 30" Cinema Display and the 27" iMac's display (100 vs. 109 DPI).

Also…are we talking about new computers in both cases (it wasn't real clear to me)?

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
The mac pro will cost a bit more, but not much. They will both be used (no more iMacs available at the moment and I'm a bit skeptical to the brand new model) - plus I don't need "slim"...

The mac pro has 32 gb ram, but currently only one hard-drive..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The mac pro will cost a bit more, but not much. They will both be used (no more iMacs available at the moment and I'm a bit skeptical to the brand new model) - plus I don't need "slim"...

The mac pro has 32 gb ram, but currently only one hard-drive..

If both computers are used…and roughly the same price…then financially speaking…the Mac Pro with 32gig of ram and a 30" display is the MUCH better deal.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.