• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

PowerMac Core Duo

K

knemonic

Any ideas what apple might do with the powermac? Is there a possibility there is a whole new system overhall in store since the design has not changed for over 3 years?

Curious, is it possible that is why Steve metioned April 1st, the 30 year anniversary to debut the possibly new powermac? Seems a little early but that feeling goes away after them unveiling the imac and macbook pro. I mean, they said the high end stuff would be last on the list and they are doing the opposite, which means they may unveil a new powermac in the next 6 months.

Possible predictions on the powermac I could think of are standard quad processors (that is two intel core duos, like the high end quad g5) since if they are putting duo cores in imacs, the only way to boost performence is either a faster version (which is sort of contradictary to the performance per watt ideaology) or two core duos since if the imac has one, then powermac is the symbol unheard of speed, which means they would have to capture the attention with something as big as quad core duos. Also, I would imagine the core duo is not that much faster than the dual-core g5, so they would have to do quad core duos since no one will buy the powermac unless there is significant performence boost. Another predicition is standard 1gb of memory, standard 500 gb hd, a much better graphics card with standard 256mb, if not even more (standard 512 with pci express maybe supporting dual 30 inch monitors).

I am giddy with anticipation though :)

Later
Tim

OP
I

icemanjc

me too, i heard here big thing on why they were going to name it macbook pro, but i liked powerbook better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I'd think a new PowerMac would have something besides the Core Duo, which is optomized for mobile use. Maybe a P4 Extreme edition, which is also dual core? I kind of wonder if intel offered Apple a sweetheart deal to come out with their Core Duo products early so as to garner a lot of press coverage. Though I hear that this has POd Dell to no end for what intel is doing with Apple-- letting them slide on all of the branding restrictions the intel requires of their other customers, giving Apple access to the newest tech first, and joining in on the "intel doing more than it ever did in a PC" campaign. On various tech sites I've seen talk of Dell breaking their long running intel only strategy and starting to put AMD chips into some of their computers. Interesting to see how it'll all shake out, because Dell is probably intel's biggest customer right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Im excited about the possible new Powermac too, er uh, mactower pro? er uh mac pro?

At any rate, My mini is my second mac, my wifes ibook is our third, we may as well upgrade mine to a powermac, er uh....... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.