Snow Leopard running from external hard disk (usb 2.0)

Reaction score
Does anybody has experience doing this ?

almost by accident i install my snow leopard on an external hard disk and is running GREAT!

sure i can use the internel hard drive but this is new so i enjoy.

this happend when i had my fist ever system crash in almost 4 years and in the panic to save my data as i couldnt boot my mac i manage "accidentally " to install snow leopard on the external disk and this way SAVE my data which was still on the internal hard disk.

this happend on a MacBook Pro mid 2009. which i have 4GB and i am trying to upgrade to 8GB any advice on this too ?

can anybody mention the best top brand RAM hardware to buy in Germany ?

or do i have to pay the overpriced hardware from APPLE to have the secirty that i will not damage my whole system by using a non-recommended Apple hardware.?

thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Firewire 800 external hard drive / self powered

Hello all,

I am looking for a firewire 800 external hard drive,
1 - one which is SELF -POWERED, here i guess ( i read ) i loose some speed as some pins are use to transfer energy.
2 - one which is connected to a power supply, this one offers more speed ( iguess)

right now i am using a external hard disk to run snow-leopard using the USB2.0 port and runs like a dream, i guess using the firewire 800 port on my macbook pro will increse speed to my video editing and so on plus i plan to upgrade my 4GB to 8 GB once i need which RAM brand i must buy and do not pay the ober priced Apple hardware.

comments please and sure questions are also welcome

thanks a lot.

OP
B
Reaction score

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks but i am in Europe , considering the deliver cost i will reach the price offered here from APPLE.

If you update your profile…then we will know that you are in Europe.;) It's VERY hard to know where someone is from…from what is written in postings (unless they mention their location in the post).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even with FW800 as external, will not be as fast as the internal SATA II interface.

FW400 = 400Mbit/sedc. FW800 = 800Mbits/sec and SATA II 1,500 Mbit/sec all apron.. This will also supply comparisons:-

http://www.barefeats.com/hard70.html

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you all for your information and for sharing your experience , hope this threat help also others.

I am not a multi task user , when i RUN A program is only one and keep an EYE open if any other is running in the background,in the meantime as the MacBook Pro does the JOB while i do other work on a PC or Linux.

Let me clear that the use of an external drive to run my MAC OS is ONLY for testing purposes and in case of an emergency,is always good to have a plan b,c and d. just in case.

Regarding the RAM CRUCIAL UK offer so far the best price. (see photo)

Screen_shot_2012_11_10_at_7_56_33_AM.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

have not yet contact OWC.

Below the link of German chain selling Apple Hardware in Germany, i called Apple on Friday and a quite tired and not very enthusiastic costumer service English speaker human told me my Mac Book Pro is too old and that i must better search in Ebay or Amazon for my memory.???

http://www.gravis.de/Empfehlung/Ama...-fuer-MacBook-Pro-iMac-2-66-und-3-06-GHz.html

Sure this shop (GRAVIS) will not tell you the name or brand of the RAM maker they sell., when you ask them in "English" they say ; it does not matter :) their plus is a 90 days Guarantee.they say.

Found funny the different Marketing techniques if all dealers -sellers or re-sellers will note the number of pins plus voltage things will be much easier to find this kind of hardware.

having such a good WEBISTE CRUCIAL does not mention the number of PINS ,?????

My Mac model as far as i know ( below ).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...53-aluminum-15-mid-2009-sd-unibody-specs.html

Thank you guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.