macbook connection to samsung hdtv

Reaction score
I have connected macbook pro to samsung hdtv via hdmi cable. Picture fine but no sound from tv - only from macbook pro. Help pls

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which MacBook Pro do you have? Year and model? Also, please read our Sticky Thread about connecting your Mac to a TV in the "Other Hardware Forum". LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
Which MacBook Pro do you have? Year and model? Also, please read our Sticky Thread about connecting your Mac to a TV in the "Other Hardware Forum". LINK

Thank you for your reply and advice.
My MAcBook Pro is 2012; model no. A1286.
I have had no problems getting sound from the tv using hdmi cable on another 'smart' samsung hdtv. This samsung hdtv I am experiencing lack of sound with is not a 'smart' one! Does this matter?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you tried opening Sound preferences and selecting the TV?

Are you sure the mdp to HDMI adapter you have is capable of passing audio - there are some older ones still out there for sale that do not.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I had the same problem for months. Then I finally read something online about renaming something in the Menu to PC. Then my problem was fixed.

When you go to Menu. Go down to Source list. Then HDMI. Hit Tools on your remote and rename it to PC.

I went through so many HDMI cables because I thought they were defective. >_<"

OP
J
Reaction score
macbook pro: getting sound thru samsung hdtv

Thank you all for youe help and advice. Problem now solved. I couldn't get a samsung option in sound preferences until I connected to it via hdmi. All good now. Thanks::

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.