The Intel Imac experiment- A real test

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi there, I will ignore those rather flaming coments about Intel, as a user of both types of IMac it seems like a stupid comment.

Having played about some more last nigth I have found out some more interesting things about the Intel machine. The Intel machine really struggles with games, understandably they run very choppy, so badly infact they are rendered unplayable. Command and Conquer genrals could not get a decent framrate established though I am yet to try Rolercoaster tycoon 3

I shall look into increasing the system ram int he Intle machine to see if this has any bearing on this performance. Another note is that the Intel machine is almost silent in running and runs no hotter than the G5.

Z

zer0uk

Re the old G5 that you are using for benchmarking is it a recent build?
Just thinking the only real way of testing this would be to put a fresh install of OS x onto the G5 as the intel will be all new and free of crap .... Just a thought

OP
S
Reaction score
The G5 I am using is less than 3 weeks old and is near on untouched. The only change that was made was to uninstall one of the 512mb strips on the G5 is is a fair comparison. further investigation today is showing that the G5 runs all games fine were as the Intel machine struggles.

I did notice though that Front Row runs faster on the intel machine.

Reaction score
Of course, those results are subjective. I opened PS on my system, an iMac G5, and it opened in 12 seconds.
Probably luck with my system. Anyway, I love my iMac, and only want a MacBook when it comes out :) (Not the pro, the nice white one :D ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
baggss said:
Please explain that earltash. Are you saying that they will simply be junk becasue of the intel chip?
No. It just seems they are all trying to get to run as one system now.
Macs act way to much like Windows now, and I have noticed a lot more problems with Macs. I now use Tiger. It has a lot of useless crap in it.
I liked 9.2, to bad they didn't keep going with it. This OS X Just acts way to much like running a PC (Windows).
I have the iMac with the G5. 20 inch 2.1 GIG with 1.5 Gig Ram.
My Bud has the intel.
His has 2 Gigs ram.
Mine runs so much better. Faster boots. Faster running of programs.
Maybe I got lucky and got a good one..?
They are both quite as a mouse.
Yes his runs a bit cooler.
Maybe in time the intel will out perform, but for now mine seems to run better.
Appls. we ran.
Office 2004, Photoshop, appleworks, Iphoto, iTunes, Toast titanium, Back roads explorer, Mozilla, Expander- dropstuff, Burn X, Limewire, A few games.
The iMac G5 did better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So all none of the Apps you tested were "Universal"? What did you expect?

Please explain how "This OS X Just acts way to much like running a PC (Windows)"....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.