Computer locking up after wierd screen blurp

D

dantespair

My ibook was working fine this morning, until all of a sudden the screen warbled with horizontal lines and the keyboard locked up. I shut down, rebooted and nothing. I finally got it to reboot, looked fine, touched the keyboard, and the screen warbled again, and locked up.
What could possibly be the issue here. I haven't dropped it, or spilled anything in it. the Caps lock and Num Lock buttons will light up, but absolutely nothing else will function.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lenny

OP
D

dantespair

Took the computer in and found out it was either a display issue or a logicboard problem. Either way, 98 days left on my warranty and it is being taken care of by Apple. I'll be without for a few days, but atleast I can sleep again.

OP
D

drika

The same exact thing happened to me in august. I sent it out and they sent it back "fixed" three days later. Fortunately they swaped out the board so no more graphics issues, however I have been having random crashes ever since (which never happened before) and I have sent the stupid thing back to apple 3 times with no luck. Every time I get it back the case is more flimsy and loose then before.

---one pissed apple user---

dantespair said:
Took the computer in and found out it was either a display issue or a logicboard problem. Either way, 98 days left on my warranty and it is being taken care of by Apple. I'll be without for a few days, but atleast I can sleep again.

OP
L

lcubbin

dantespair said:

Do you have any idea what the price would have been if you had not had applecare. If anyone knows the answer to this it would be appreciated. I have a friend who seems to have had the same problem and now has a completely useless G4 Powerbook. Im planning on buying it from him if the fix for it is not ridiculously high. Thanks for the help.

OP
K

klumick

This EXACT same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with my g3 14'' iBook. Call up apple, go through all the procedures, and they will fly a box to you, you put your ibook and charger in the box, fill out some paperwork, tape it up, the mail carrier guy comes to pick it up, and its back to you fixed in about 6 days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.